slope soaring

Wildthing

Legendary member
hey guys... i am looking for really good slopesoarer glider plans.... approximately 2m/6ft wingspan.... that i can cut with my hot-wire from a plank of EPS i have.... planning to build a ss as well but i also want something that'll soar in really light winds... and EPS is super light
Well if you need to make room in the work shop start yanking out the motors from the planes, just need a small 6V battery for the rx and servos, , rebalance and get up that mountain and start chucking . :D

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
those planes are awesome! congrats.
Yeah my big 4m plank has like $200 in servos in it. Pretty big sticker shock coming from flite test standard 9g servo setups.
I have been waiting for the tandem ethos stuff. hoping it will fill my mid range fpv flight needs.

bracesport

Legendary member
Yes, you need to swallow hard for good servos!

the Ethos looks super nice - Horus is forcing a bundle sale, so I will wait and see what Aloft will offer - I love OTX, but this system looks good too - I do not like spending money on the hobby and prefer to get it to fund itself - so I will probably sell one (or two) of these carbon ships - I have a 4m classic glider and an aerobatic sloper coming here soon so they can fund a few more toys too!!

those planes are awesome! congrats.
Yeah my big 4m plank has like $200 in servos in it. Pretty big sticker shock coming from flite test standard 9g servo setups.
I have been waiting for the tandem ethos stuff. hoping it will fill my mid range fpv flight needs.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
hurray the wing is complete except for the spar...
now all i got to do is scale your fuse down to 85% and i'll be done.

any ideas what design i should use for elevator and rudder..... my tx can not do v tail or any other smart thing only ele. rud, ail, thr...
IMG_3176.JPG
IMG_3178.JPG
IMG_3183.JPG
IMG_3182.JPG

Piotrsko

Master member
You don't need to do both sides of a V tail if you can tolerate the induced turn effects. If you have ailerons move the whole tail as an elevator. There are also plug in 2 channel mixers or you can go mechanical mixer. Birds don't have rudders. Back in the day with rudder only, you set it up for modest climb, and just before it stalled you applied rudder to push the nose down. Or oddest yet, hold the transmitter on a 45degree angle.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
You don't need to do both sides of a V tail if you can tolerate the induced turn effects. If you have ailerons move the whole tail as an elevator. There are also plug in 2 channel mixers or you can go mechanical mixer. Birds don't have rudders. Back in the day with rudder only, you set it up for modest climb, and just before it stalled you applied rudder to push the nose down. Or oddest yet, hold the transmitter on a 45degree angle.
i like the ideas but i don't have enough sevos for ail's as well....
i think i'll just opt for the ele and rud

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
hey guys i need some help.... i finished the glider and man i looked fantastic..... i balanced it perfectly on 25% cord..... and threw it that thing did not want to land... 25metre from a slow hand toss.... sadly i did not record any of this......
elated i picked it up turned around and threw it ... well i know it can do a figure of 9..........
turns out the weights in the nose had shifted.

but here is my problem... i am having to add 200grams of weight in the nose. which i desperately want to reduce...
so one problem i found was that the v-stab and h-stab weigh in total 50grams which means that i needed to add 100 grams of weight into the nose to counter that(the nose is half the length of the tail).

now how do i build an ultra light tail that is fairly rigid?
i can get balsa but that will only get here in a week and im kinda impatient.
Hot wire i chunk of foam.. that will be super light...
make a light frame from barbeque skewers and cover it in some laminating plastic
or use some fibre glass and make a fibre glass tail..

and advice would be much apreciated..
@Piotrsko @Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes @bracesport @thenated0g @Wildthing

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
hey guys i need some help.... i finished the glider and man i looked fantastic..... i balanced it perfectly on 25% cord..... and threw it that thing did not want to land... 25metre from a slow hand toss.... sadly i did not record any of this......
elated i picked it up turned around and threw it ... well i know it can do a figure of 9..........
turns out the weights in the nose had shifted.

but here is my problem... i am having to add 200grams of weight in the nose. which i desperately want to reduce...
so one problem i found was that the v-stab and h-stab weigh in total 50grams which means that i needed to add 100 grams of weight into the nose to counter that(the nose is half the length of the tail).

now how do i build an ultra light tail that is fairly rigid?
i can get balsa but that will only get here in a week and im kinda impatient.
Hot wire i chunk of foam.. that will be super light...
make a light frame from barbeque skewers and cover it in some laminating plastic
or use some fibre glass and make a fibre glass tail..

and advice would be much apreciated..
@Piotrsko @Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes @bracesport @thenated0g @Wildthing
What is it made out of right now, foamboard? If so, peel the paper off and do a tape hinge.