slope soaring

Wildthing

Legendary member
Here is an experiment for you to try. Cut a V tail or whatever out of FB, hot iron it to a nice tapered trailing edge with a somewhat round leading edge, now peel the paper off and see if it is ridged enough.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Here is an experiment for you to try. Cut a V tail or whatever out of FB, hot iron it to a nice tapered trailing edge with a somewhat round leading edge, now peel the paper off and see if it is ridged enough.
@Matthewdupreez another option would be to extend the nose.
THANKS GUYS FOR THE ADVICE... I REBUILT THE NOSE SO IT HAS DOUBLEERS.. OTHERWISE IT BREAKS FAR TO EASILY.
THEN I REBUILT THE TAIL USING SINGLE LAYER FOAMBOARD... AND I ALSO SHORTENED THE BOOM BY 10CM...
NOW ALL UP WEIGH IS 256GRAMS WITH A WING AREA OF 4590 SQUARE CENTIMETERS... HOW AWESOME IS THAT.. THAT IS THE WEIGHT WITH THE 80 GRAMS OF WEIGHTS......
WILL POST VIDEOS AS SOON AS THEY ARE UPLOADED.
HERE ARE SOME PICS IN THE MEANTIME
IMG_3190.JPG
IMG_3191.JPG

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Looks like it went right into that tree hehe

In your pics it looks like you made the chord just a bit longer than mine, all the better for wing loading. Looks like it glides nice and slow.
yep all it needs now are a balsa tail..... a big tail.... and a wing spar so i can slope soar with it... or else the wing will go snap..

but i defeniately need a bigger h-stad and v-stab... i have absolutely no rudder control.. and barely and elevator control....
it is scary... no control nose down aaah pull up pull up.. darn why didn't i put a bigger tail one... rule of thumb noted h-stab == 25% of wing area
v-stab == 30% of wing area

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
yep all it needs now are a balsa tail..... a big tail.... and a wing spar so i can slope soar with it... or else the wing will go snap..

but i defeniately need a bigger h-stad and v-stab... i have absolutely no rudder control.. and barely and elevator control....
it is scary... no control nose down aaah pull up pull up.. darn why didn't i put a bigger tail one... rule of thumb noted h-stab == 25% of wing area
v-stab == 30% of wing area
Yeah I was thinking it looked a bit small. That was one of the issues with this design, I haven't really gotten around to testing a fix yet as I've kinda been out of the hobby for a while.

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Nice looking plane. I usually build my planes overly heavy, im not good at building lite. I start worrying about crashes and just deal with it being heavy lol

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Nice looking plane. I usually build my planes overly heavy, im not good at building lite. I start worrying about crashes and just deal with it being heavy lol
thanks... but i would love to do v-tail.... but at the moment i've got a bare bones tx and rx...
my neat one is just awaiting the receiver:cautious:

thenated0g

Mentor
I have just done my first ever V tail, but it was a kit, i dint make it diy. Foam covered in wood veneer and held in place with aluminum tubes with carbon glued in side and they slot into aluminum tubes in the tail of the fuselage.
PXL_20210131_012007184.jpg PXL_20210131_012022478.jpg PXL_20210131_235753940.jpg
Rods slotted in, used some goop to hold them in place. Inside i used some epoxy and cabosil to strengthen the outer tubes connection to the fusel.
PXL_20210223_160428989.jpg

thenated0g

Mentor
@Matthewdupreez you can go super easy on it for starters. My 8ft wing is just hot wire cut foam with some fishing wire and a 4s battery by hand, sand it down a little, add some spackle to make it a nice surface. Than fiberglass on top and epoxy. After that spray paint or like i did put some vinyl down for color. Probably heavier than it needs to be but flies great. Sanding and spackle hide a ton of mistakes.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
@Matthewdupreez you can go super easy on it for starters. My 8ft wing is just hot wire cut foam with some fishing wire and a 4s battery by hand, sand it down a little, add some spackle to make it a nice surface. Than fiberglass on top and epoxy. After that spray paint or like i did put some vinyl down for color. Probably heavier than it needs to be but flies great. Sanding and spackle hide a ton of mistakes.
cool

thenated0g

Mentor
If you want to try something even cheaper, but go through a similar process you could do what i did on my 1/7th f-100. Same basic process but instead of expensive fiberglass and epoxy you can use brown kraft paper (craft paper?) and some watered down white glue.

bracesport

Legendary member
@thenated0g - woo hoo - nearly finished and looking awesome!

I have just done my first ever V tail, but it was a kit, i dint make it diy. Foam covered in wood veneer and held in place with aluminum tubes with carbon glued in side and they slot into aluminum tubes in the tail of the fuselage.
View attachment 195430 View attachment 195431 View attachment 195432
Rods slotted in, used some goop to hold them in place. Inside i used some epoxy and cabosil to strengthen the outer tubes connection to the fusel.
View attachment 195433