SP0NZ - Plans Index

Deanoaz

deanoaz
Very Helpful Plans

I built the Storch (my first Flite Test model) from a kit which required many trips back and forth to watch the video. First flight, the wings folded up, requiring a rebuild of the wings. The Flite Test plans leave a lot to be desired. I somehow managed to find your plans and want to tell you how much more helpful they are to a first time builder. Keep up the good work.:cool:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I built the Storch (my first Flite Test model) from a kit which required many trips back and forth to watch the video. First flight, the wings folded up, requiring a rebuild of the wings. The Flite Test plans leave a lot to be desired. I somehow managed to find your plans and want to tell you how much more helpful they are to a first time builder. Keep up the good work.:cool:

First, welcome to the Forums and the Flite Test family. Second, thank you very much for the kind words. Makes it all worth it.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Would it be possible to adapt the plans to accomodate different foamboard thicknesses? ...
... how difficult would it be to change the plans, and make the gaps 2mm, 3mm etc sizes?

Unfortunately, it's not very easy at all. It's a very manual and tedious process to make sure you account for all the folds and fit up issues with changing the material thickness. Believe me, if it was easy, everyone would already be doing it.

Furthermore, could you create the tiled plans for standard A4 size paper as well as for US Letter size? If I print US Letter on A4 paper, my planes come out about 20% smaller.

My plans are already setup that way. The tiled versions were specifically formatted so that you can print to A4 or US Letter without scaling issues. Just print to your printer at 100% scale and you will be fine. Each sheet has a scale on it in inch and mm for reference after you print it.

The older, original FT plans, are not setup that way. But, don't worry, I am redrawing those too.

forneymech

Sea Duck tail boom bottom template drawing problem

Sponz!

The layout for the tail boom - bottom is not straight resulting in an offset for the vertical fins and twisting of the booms. The error is duplicated as a mirror image for the second boom layout. Draw a center line on each boom and check the dimensions from the center line to each side. The error begins at 1 7/8 " from the front and increases to the rear.

Hope you can fix it! You are doing great work! Much appreciated!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Sponz!

The layout for the tail boom - bottom is not straight resulting in an offset for the vertical fins and twisting of the booms. The error is duplicated as a mirror image for the second boom layout. Draw a center line on each boom and check the dimensions from the center line to each side. The error begins at 1 7/8 " from the front and increases to the rear.

Hope you can fix it! You are doing great work! Much appreciated!

Just checked my CAD file and I can't see anything that is off? Can you take a screen grab and markup what/where you are seeing an issue? Thanks.

Oh, and welcome to the Flite Test family.

Last edited:

forneymech

Tail boom problem

Appreciate your quick reply! Problem is, I'm not up with the computer ins and outs to be able to do what you suggested. I trust your review of your drawings for accuracy. Perhaps you could assist by suggesting where my problem may be. All the other component patterns seem spot on!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Appreciate your quick reply! Problem is, I'm not up with the computer ins and outs to be able to do what you suggested. I trust your review of your drawings for accuracy. Perhaps you could assist by suggesting where my problem may be. All the other component patterns seem spot on!

Did you follow Josh's instructions in the build video?

forneymech

Got it figured out --- printed out the four sheets again, cut & pasted and the most amazing thing happened! It came out straight! I have no clue what the problem was --- everything was lined up the first try but somehow went wrong. Sorry about the questions but appreciate your trying to help! Good to know help is there if needed!!!!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Got it figured out --- printed out the four sheets again, cut & pasted and the most amazing thing happened! It came out straight! I have no clue what the problem was --- everything was lined up the first try but somehow went wrong. Sorry about the questions but appreciate your trying to help! Good to know help is there if needed!!!!

Glad you got it sorted out. It was probably a printer issue with the first print. Never need to apologize for asking questions, happy to help. Have fun with the rest of the build.

ARE

Baby Baron Fuse question

Hi Dan,

I'm looking at the Baby Baron design and notice dotted black lines (green circle in the attached image). Are these supposed to be dotted cuts ? Thanks.

Baby_Baron_fuse_.JPG

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Hi Dan,

I'm looking at the Baby Baron design and notice dotted black lines (green circle in the attached image). Are these supposed to be dotted cuts ? Thanks.

View attachment 87293

Great question. If you were going to use a CNC router or a laser, you probably wouldn't need the extra cutout that the dashed line represents (due to the tool kerf or the undercut from the laser). If you are cutting by hand, you need that extra cutout to provide clearance for the tabs to pass through. There are some pictures in the build thread that show this pretty well. Hope that answers your question.

Baby Baron Build Thread

ARE

Great question. If you were going to use a CNC router or a laser, you probably wouldn't need the extra cutout that the dashed line represents (due to the tool kerf or the undercut from the laser). If you are cutting by hand, you need that extra cutout to provide clearance for the tabs to pass through. There are some pictures in the build thread that show this pretty well. Hope that answers your question.

Baby Baron Build Thread

Thanks for a quick response. I'm using a lasercutter, however, I do multiple passes at low power to minimize the undercut. Will do one to see how it comes out.

Phoenix 24

This may have been asked before, but what size paper is this meant to be printed on? I got a spitfire printed at Staples and it was too small.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
The Gremlins are here!

Just added Josh and TJ's frames to the plans index. More to follow as they are released. Enjoy.