Support Your Local Hobby Shop

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

radical-1-png_1431094266.jpg

On our way down to SEFF 2015 we stopped in Peter's hometown of Dayton, OH.
(We didn't actually make it to SEFF because Josh got sick.)

Peter was extremely excited to show us around the hobby shop where he use to work before joining the Flite Test team!

radical-2-png_1431094280.jpg

Full of R/C airplanes, parts, and accessories... this is Radical RC!

radical-4-png_1431094304.jpg

We encourage you to stop by if you're in the Dayton, OH area.

radical-8-png_1431094483.jpg

They have just about everything you can imagine, from radical wire to custom balsa planes.

radical-10-png_1431094509.jpg

Local R/C hobby shops are a rare thing these days, so if you find one near you or one that you'd like to stay in business, do what you can to help support it! Support with purchasing products in person or online.

radical-11-png_1431094521.jpg

Local shops might not offer the cheapest prices (compared to online shops and big box stores), but the benefit of having a physical shop with knowledgable people to talk with and learn from is worth investing in!

We want to thank Radical RC for letting us visit and take a tour!
If you are interested in custom designed balsa kits they are available at RadicalRC.com.

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
LOL! I've spent alot of time there and many dollars! Glad Peter got to show it off a bit. I can't wait to see which of Dave's kits they are going to build.

ZoomNBoom

I dont think those shops have a bright future, unfortunately. On one hand, I love walking in to a local shop and picking up everything I need without waiting a week for my shipment to arrive and being able to see what Im actually buying.

OTOH, every time I buy just a small bag full of bolts, glue, connectors, carbon rods and similar cheap stuff, I am shocked at check out at what I have to pay. I understand they cant compete with hobbyking prices, and I dont mind paying more if I need just one bottle of CA, but the difference is always a high multiple and sometimes almost literally an order of magnitude. As a result, I dont buy a lot there, and they have to maintain their high prices to stay in business. I dont see that as sustainable unfortunately :(

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
I worked at a hobby shop in the 90's it is a tough business. We would have people walk in and demand us match tower hobbies catalog prices.. We could not match them at all so it was hard to tell them sorry. I mean a few times we could but not all the time. Literally we would have a - sale because normally they were on big kits that had almost no markup.

Like Peter said you spend most of your $ on stuff while working there. We would when we cashed our pay check. Bring a bunch of stuff to the register cash our pay check then put about 75% of it back in the register with what we bought LOL!!!

I dont think those shops have a bright future, unfortunately. On one hand, I love walking in to a local shop and picking up everything I need without waiting a week for my shipment to arrive and being able to see what Im actually buying.

OTOH, every time I buy just a small bag full of bolts, glue, connectors, carbon rods and similar cheap stuff, I am shocked at check out at what I have to pay. I understand they cant compete with hobbyking prices, and I dont mind paying more if I need just one bottle of CA, but the difference is always a high multiple and sometimes almost literally an order of magnitude. As a result, I dont buy a lot there, and they have to maintain their high prices to stay in business. I dont see that as sustainable unfortunately :(

ZoomNBoom.

What is interesting is that the hobby shop I worked for we made our $ on the accessories and smaller items because they had the higher markup. In the end i heard the shop went out of business in 2004.. There is really not a local place up where I'm at.

Rig136

Does anyone know of a hobby store in San Francisco? I'm on holidays from Australia and wouldn't mind checking out some stores. I'm staying in the Bay Area but I can get around pretty easily

Topdawg

Does anyone know of a hobby store in San Francisco? I'm on holidays from Australia and wouldn't mind checking out some stores. I'm staying in the Bay Area but I can get around pretty easily

Hey Rig. Not sure if there are any in the Bay Area. I do know of one in Sacramento that the last time I was passing through there was pretty good shop. Its called R/C Country Hobbies. Maybe someone else can chime in on the Bay Area one.

OttoPilot

I've spent some time at Radical RC. Great shop; probably one of the best equipped 'aviation' hobby shops I've ever been to.

They did all the custom laser cutting for our SAE Aero Design, Heavy Lift airplane while I was at U of Cincinnati (might have even met Peter if he was working there at the time). Great guys, tons of knowledge.

It was a big plane (We took 1st place in our class).

17599640652_c964f4a634_o.jpg

Last edited:

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Plenty of time spent in the local hobby shop in FDL. Not a spectacular RC selection, except for their props and push rod material. Plastic model nirvana though. Lots of old kits and good paint.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
2 Hobby shops in my area.....1 is 45 miles and has mainly Ground vehicles and gear...not planes or multicopters and it is not open full time.
The other one is 85 miles one way and caters to old gassers and has Tower Hobbies retail pricing ONLY.

NOPE: I will continue to order online until a Hobby shop is built that caters to my likes and is within a reasonable distance.

Thurmond

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I grew up with a great local hobby shop - Wings in Lakewood Ohio. Place was huge and had tons of everything with helpful knowledgeable staff. Only thing lacking was my budget :) Still have many happy memories of looking through the balsa kits with my dad picking out the ones we built. (and train stuff, and my steam engine, and later roll playing games from their book section, plastic models and all that other great stuff that goes into a great hobby shop.)

When I went to college we only had a small local hobby shop that was owned and run by the comic book guy from the Simpsons. Well, ok he looked just like him but he didn't have the attitude. Very friendly and helpful - but his store was tiny and he didn't stock much for what I was into at the time but he would still help me find on-line and mail order resources.

Then I moved out here to Yuma AZ :D When I first moved here there was a small hobby shop in a side room of a local gift shop that was run by the store owners son to support his own RC hobby. Their selection wasn't great but wasn't horrible either...bit of everything, but mostly planes which at the time was a bummer for me as I was into ground vehicles! Then he went off to college and the hobby side of the business was all but abandoned and a few years later the whole place closed up and we were without a store for a long time.

About 3 years ago a new store opened up...at first he operated out of a trailer and only carried car stuff since he would setup at the local RC car track. Then he got a storefront...selection got better but focus was still very much mostly on cars/trucks. Then he got a bigger storefront...selection improved again but his aircraft selection is basically just the Horizon catalog. His prices are fair, same as on-line but with no shipping - at least on Horizon stuff. But on little things like DuBro bits and such his prices are crazy, I had to spend $5 on 4 screws one time :(

My big complaint is that he doesn't really support multirotor guys with the excuse "they don't support us so we don't support them". What? He doesn't carry anything for multirotors (other than some Horizon RTF's, and A few Hubsan/Estes RTFs). Even common sized props he sends people on-line. So how is the local MR community supposed to support him if he doesn't carry and doesn't have any interest in carrying the stuff we need?

Still, better than nothing...but so many times I've gone in with money in my pocket and walked out without spending anything because they just didn't have what I wanted and weren't interested in ordering it. I've seen others come in and ask for things and walk out frustrated as well. They're great for ground stuff...but for model aviation...it's pretty bare bones :(

Last trip out to CA though I discovered Discount Hobby Warehouse in San Diego and it's now on my list to visit every time I go over there :) Nice big store with decent prices and amazing selection. Staff was friendly and helpful too. They were flying FPV in the parking lot with a blade 350 the first time I visited and demoing micro helis as well. Fun place, just wish it was closer!

SteevyT

I like my local hobby store (well, the people anyway, parts are good for some planes. Prices are higher than what I can afford to do everything on. Still, I have at least one component from them on every aircraft of mine.