Todays Flying

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I got the FunBat maidened yesterday. My FunBat has a Park450 with a 1300 3S - which is quite heavy. I found that my FunBat has unlimited vertical, has an nonexistent glide slope, and doesn't track as straight as I'd like. But that was probably the wind.

I launched the FunBat 2 times, on the second landing I broke the prop, despite landing in soft sand. But by then the battery was almost empty anyway.

While I was flying, I noticed that I use the rudder more than I thought I did. I found myself constantly trying to aid the turns with the nonexistent rudder. I also felt the weight of the plane, It flew relatively well, but it does need the prop wash over the control surfaces to steer.

I also flew two 2200's on my Bixler, first time just flying around, then second time zip-tied a drop mechanism on it and had some fun dropping a parachute. second try with the parachute was a fail, all the strings were cut by the prop on the chute so it din't work out. Then I grabbed a bunch of trash lying on the beach and dropped that too - old slippers, paper, a streamer, plastic trays, etc.

People as always like to come and watch for a while, they come up to me and ask, but most of the time it's just kids hanging around.

Enjoy the pictures.

Me with my favorite t-shirt, and the friend who drove me there:

IMG_2948.jpg

Kids watching the FunBat halfway buried in sand.

IMG_2950.jpg

Sandy Funbat, got some sand inside the motor:

IMG_2949.jpg

Prop piece:

IMG_2952.jpg

My friends daughter, she helped out a lot

IMG_2954.jpg

Me with an awesome neckstrap

IMG_2955.jpg

Favorite beach at night, streetlights should aid in future nightflying FPV:

IMG_2956.jpg

Same beach daytime:

IMG_2957.jpg

Me thinking I'm cool:

IMG_2953.jpg

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
While I was flying, I noticed that I use the rudder more than I thought I did. I found myself constantly trying to aid the turns with the nonexistent rudder.
I am trying to mix the rudder and aileron when i fly a 3-channel plane - it is easy to forget and use the wrong stick.
Sand is not your (motors) best friend - and it is not soft.....

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I am trying to mix the rudder and aileron when i fly a 3-channel plane - it is easy to forget and use the wrong stick.
Sand is not your (motors) best friend - and it is not soft.....

Well, the sand just got stuck on the excess oil on the bearing inside the bell. It's probably very easy to clean, I could just wash the whole thing in alcohol without a problem. There's no grinding sound when turning the motor by hand, so I won't worry about that. I worry the most about the salt!

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
Flying before work at 8:00

strong winds around 25 mph (30 - 35 km/h)

just a quick smooth landing, the bystander couldnt hold himself and passed in front of the camera !

HOW DOES WINTER LOOKS LIKE IN RIO DE JANEIRO ?? HA HA HA !!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Why so far away? I bet you could taxi right back to where you are... Just kidding, that's about how it looks when I'm flying on the beach - except the sun goes down into the sea instead of going up from it.

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
its morning, so the sun rise from the left (E)

it was my first time flying over the ocean ... first few seconds were weird, after that it was normal flight. Very heavy mist after a couple of hundred meters.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
its morning, so the sun rise from the left (E)

it was my first time flying over the ocean ... first few seconds were weird, after that it was normal flight. Very heavy mist after a couple of hundred meters.

I have flown quite a few times over the ocean - and I like it a lot! I never get mist, maybe early in the morning, but never been there that early.

My beach flying times depend mainly on the tide - high tide, no flying. On Sunday, the best flying time will be right after lunch:

http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/3576.html?y=2012&m=7&d=8

Next Friday will be great for early morning flying!

oagh

I have never flown on the beach, it looks fun ,where I fly at we have lots of trees .
I might have to try it :), But here is a some flying in the nothwest.
its 7 min

fwa2500

Ramp Rat
it flies quite well, the as3x system really does make it feel like a MUCH bigger plane. i am still working on perfecting my landings though, keep coming in too hot and bouncing...

img3471kd.jpg

oops...tripped on a pebble
img3476z.jpg

Last edited:

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
-12C (10F) - but sunshine and good (weak) winds.
121208-02.JPG 121208-03.JPG
Tonights powder was easily removed for at strip och slightly harder surface for my Mini Ultra Stick - 2 pairs of skis (20-60) are ordered but will not arrive until after the Xmas and New Year flights.

Fishbonez

Looks like a great place to fly, in the summer, that snow looks to deep and the temperature is way to cold for me

earthsciteach

Too cold for a guy who lives in Wyoming??? Have you already acclimated to your temporary environment?

I was finally able to do some flying with a friend today. He flew his Sky Surfer and 800 mm T-6. I only brought my Super Cub along, but had a great time with it. The weather was a bit foggy with no wind. Temps were in the high 40s or low 50s. Its so much more fun when you fly with someone else!

Fishbonez

Too cold for a guy who lives in Wyoming??? Have you already acclimated to your temporary environment?

Oh I have aclimated but 10 degrees is far to cold for this Wyoming guy because the wind would also be blowing and making it feel like a -10 degrees. BRRR when nits that cold a hot cup a coffe, fireplace going and a good movie would make me content. Oh maybe some repairs as well either way I would be staying inside. ;)