Todays Flying

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Thats nothing, I lost the whole motor on my floaterjet today!
And the back bearing.
The motor mount let go on a speed run, but the wires stayed on.
I tore an el cheapo motor apart, grabbed the bearing, and got back in the air.:black_eyed:

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
121224-04.JPG

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Hi, a bit late but better late than never.

I went to San Clemente on Monday the 31st, and stayed there until Wednesday the 2nd.

I stayed at a friends house, specifically the friend I bought RC gear for a couple of months ago. He currently has a beat up Bixler 2.

I went there to teach him how to fly the thing. I must say I personally don't like it too much. It feels so sluggish and heavy... :/ But that said it still flies. When I am on the sticks. My friend was so enthusiastic that he was an expert on RC kind of things, and he said he could fly everything that was advertised on HobbyKing... Well you all know that's not true... He nosed in his Bixler 2 after half a circle and 5 seconds of flight... The nose was crumpled and the screw-in wing mounts were pulled out... And he cracked the spar, which he fixed up with an iron nail and some epoxy...

Anyway, we fixed the plane with hotglue and hot water. And tape.

Next time we flew, I first had it trimmed up, then let him take the sticks. He got better and better, but he still expects the plane to turn by just pushing the aileron in a specific direction. I have explained to him several times that he only needs to tip the plane and then pull elevator... But he's not that good at listening it seems. :D

Most if not all of his crashes are because he doesn't know how to turn. He pushes the aileron to the side, and then simply waits for it to come around. Which it doesn't. It will roll till it is perpendicular to the ground and then nose in "sideways".

I usually stand beside him and take his Tx if he messes up. Once I pulled out from a dive so hard that the wing (remember it had been fixed) folded up 45º in a V shape... Talk about dihedral :D I managed to land the thing near us so we could check for any damage. We fixed the thing, but it was getting dark so we got home.

Next day, he did a similar pullout from a dive. This time the spar only bent about 10º... And in his opinion it flew much better. He should have gotten a 3ch plane instead... *sigh*

Anyway, I tried doing some hand landings. I can only do them nicely when the wind is stable. For the most part, the wind is very jerky, so you need constant corrections on the stick which don't let me reach out for the plane. But I still need to practice.

On a personal note, 3ch annoys me. Unbelievable lack of control. I love 4 channel, and using the rudder to tweak the turns - I'm just figuring that out. I flew a Mini SuperCub he had bought, and pushing a stick and waiting 20 secs for the plane to turn is not my kind of entertainment. I invite you to disagree on this subject.

Later while back at home he made me get him another plane from HobbyKing. We decided on a TekSumo, a Bixler 1.1 and a bunch of electronics. So I hopefully will be posting a review (maybe even a build, if he lets me) of these two planes. I'll post a guide on how to charge two 3S simultaneously on a Turnigy 6s charger, and maybe some other cool stuff too.

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
LOL what a funny story :p

I have a frind who has the same behavior ...

I lend him a ugly stick wich he destroyed within a week; next week he said to me he didnt like small planes and he bought a 1600mm Super Chipmunk (remember this guy who couldnt hold a ugly stick in the air)

He sold the plane without even fly with it !! bought a Glow powered Avistar and off he went to the field !!

arrived at 9:00 and he spent all morning setting up the plane; at 11:00 he had the plane ready .... he called the instructor to start the engine and to take off with it .

the instructor took off, made several low passes, high passes speed passes, slow passes, inverted passes ... he watched it with delight with his arms crossed, very proud of his plane :D when the instructor handed him the sticks, he made 1, 2, 3, 4 circuit turns and then the alarm sounded on the TX .. time to land .. he handed over the instructor the TX and the instructor landed for him ....

and that was his flying day !!! when he landed had to clean all the mess from the glow ... dismount the plane and store all the goods inside a VW alike car.

Some guys need the STATUS of a Big Flyer, others have fun with cheap scratch builds .... at the end of the day i keep asking myself if he had any fun .... looks like the instructor had all the fun and he kept the annoying part for himself !! lolololol

After almost a year of this behavior, he came to me and told me hes thinking of selling all of his big glow/gas planes and buy a small electric just like mines .....

Last edited:

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
After almost a year of this behavior, he came to me and told me hes thinking of selling all of his big glow/gas planes and buy a small electric just like mines .....
ONLY a year! He has to be quick in the mind ;-) There are many pilots still who are spending 90% of the time assembling and adjusting - perhaps some flying if the weather seems to be Ok - emptying, cleaning and disassembling.
But - there are lots of nice glow powerd planes on the market for almost no money because many pilots realize that flying more of the time is superior....

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
How about that, a canine fan base. Whoda thunk it?
And I think he's more excited about flying than anyone I've ever seen.