what transmitter?

khostr

Hi,
I'm planning on getting a dragonfly soon as upgrade from the latraxx alias. I also want to fly planes in the future along with fpv. I want to do it right the first time so i want to get a proper transmitter. The turnigy 9x is one of the cheapest for its features but im willing to spend a bit more for something else that will prove better in the long run!

Do you guys recommend a spektrum dx6i or perhaps a taranis x9d. I head a lot about the taranis recently.

Last edited:

HawkMan

If you're thinking of the Turnigy, but are willing to spend more, think Taranis. You'll get a transmitter that will last you forever and can do anything you want it to.

The Dx6i is probably easier to program and quickly change settings on in the field, at least in the start, but it's also just 6 channels and won't have nearly the longevity. and if you want to use it with spektrum BNF craft, get an orange RX DSM2/DSMX modules for the taranis when you get a model that needs it and you're set for that to.

khostr

The taranis x9d is quite more expensive. what would be its advantage compared to a dx6i? im thinking range and possiblities?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Range will actually be about the same -- once you buy a "full range" transmitter, the radio is working to the maximum legal transmit power

The biggest things you'll get with the higher end radio will be more channels, more switches, and more mixing capabilities inside the radio. There's a good chance that none of these will benefit you right away, but if you stay in the hobby and continue to build/buy fancier, higher performance (whatever that means) models, the higher end radio begins to shine.

There's a better than Fair chance the DX6i will keep you happy for a year or far longer . . . at which point you'll grow out of it. Something like the Taranis is VERY difficult to grow out of.

That being said . . . . cost is not the only factor. The DX6i is modestly easy to setup and there's a better than even chance pilots living around you know how to program it. The Taranis is not *Hard* to program, but it won't hold your hand through the process. Depending on how tech savvy you are, depends on what you can get out of that radio.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Dan has a point that the Taranis is a harder radio to program, but that said on these forums there is a lot of fanbase for that radio so if you run into a problem, you can ask and get a solution... and the Taranis is almost "for life". The Turnigy 9X is a good radio, and can be upgraded to function similar to the Taranis, but you have to reflash the firmware yourself, to do this you have to solder the USB connection internally, then you have no backlight, no telemetry out of the box, not even the ability to transmit out of the box as it needs a module, inferior gimbals, etc. The Turnigy is OK if you plan on getting your hands dirty basically.

Starting off with a Taranis is actually better for most people than starting off with a DX6i and then getting into the Taranis, as the limited programming of the Spektrum radio will give you "bad programming habits" later on with the FrSky radio, where as an OpenTX radio you can learn it from a start and be proficient with it much easier than going gradually. It's like going onto Linux after Windows for most people where they get the "on Windows I used to do it like this so I don't understand how to do it now" habit, making it harder for them to get used to that operating system.

jk6stringer

FF16 Here I come!
I will throw the Devo 10 into the mix here as well. It's about $130 or so shipped from T mart. It's not quit up to par with the Taranis, but it's a huge upgrade over the dx6i which I came from. It's has about what you need tho at half the cost. It's easy to reflash it with Deviation software, without any hardware modes, which will give the ability to bind with dsm2 and dsmx.

The mixing ability is about on par with Taranis, but it's only 10 channels. It does support another 10 virtual channels which are very helpful.

I think in the end the "complicated" mixing is actually easier for me to follow than the dx6i "easy" style because your actually programming what it does, vs editing preset parameters that aren't always intuitive as to what is happening. At least for me anyway :) I just had to read the manual first to understand what what going on!

All great radios, but as a dx6i owner at retail it's over priced for what if offers, compared to the others. They can be had used for around $50-$60. At that price I would really consider it.

khostr

Thanks for all the 'help'. I think i will try to get the taranis off the bat but this will end up being a financial decision. At the start of the summer i will get my gear and start flying when i go on vacation to the Austrian mountians :D

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
I like the Devos too, I have the 7E, but mine is fully modded with extra switches, modules, power LED, range mod, the lot. And one thing I like is the Deviation website forum with a lot of information there, and people that can help you out when you have an issue just by sending them your .ini file in question. I do like that you can do all the adjustments on your PC and even test things out on the emulator before you put them into the radio, share successful .ini files, and even make your own screen images for each model. And, as mentioned here, even without opening it up and just flashing the firmware which is really simple it's compatible with Devention, previous Walkera, DSM2, DSMX with the telemetry, and many others. Adding a small module inside which is just 5 solder points you can add other things like Flysky and WLToys, another module the WLToys V2x2 protocol and others, and another module again for FrSky... and all these modules stay inside and you assign which module to use to each model, so no changing modules on the back depending what model you want to fly. And the 7E is only like $65 nothing more, and each module is about $10 and a little soldering, and by changing the firmware you get a small radio with 30 model memories, multiple protocols, telemetry and up to 12 channels.

I am in love with my little 7E:eek: