2.6m Discus/DG1000/Ventus - help (please)

mjcp

I have acquired a 2.6m Ventus made by (I think) AMD/Scorpio, vintage 2006 ish.

Trouble is, its missing the elevator (actually, the whole tailplane) and rudder:

missing elevator.JPG

Could some helpful person measure theirs for me? The Ventus and Discus a very similar, so I suspect either would work in a pinch!

Cheers in advance..

mjcp

mjcp

Any help would be great!

I've got some measurements from RC Groups but no thicknesses etc... the more the better!

mjcp

ztoon

Gone with the Mistral
Something like this?

Attachments

• IMG_20150606_132954.jpg
    IMG_20150606_132954.jpg
    480.1 KB · Views: 9

ztoon

Gone with the Mistral
thickness
max = 21mm at half cord (non moving part)
at hinge = 18mm
at trailing edge = 4mm

mjcp

Something like this?

Perfect!

I have a fuse with wings and tail, but no Rudder and no elevator/tailplane.

I do now have some measurements but no thicknesses... and no idea how far fwd/back on the tail the tailplane sites etc...

mjcp

ztoon

Gone with the Mistral
Here's the horizontal stab.

Attachments

• IMG_20150607_230826.jpg
    IMG_20150607_230826.jpg
    512.6 KB · Views: 6

ztoon

Gone with the Mistral
My asw28 motorglider is a mixed epp/hard plastic, were main wings and tail/stab are foam, so maybe thickness is not valid when building with some other material. Both surfaces are effective enough, needing little deflection for a good effect.

Deepshark

Hi there - I've got a potential answer for you -
This gilder is possibly made by FlyFly hobbies - they sell spares for them on their website hobby88.com.
Their scale gliders have wingspans of 2.4 - 3.2m typically, and their ASW / Discus models have a wingspan of 2.6m - hence my guess.
Worth looking at anyway. You can quite easily re-purpose the DG-1000 Elevator you your glider, as it has a near-identical mounting plate, plus a greater wingspan (or tailspan), which in turn gives more stability as it improves your wake allowance reducing the possibility of tail-stall. The construction is great too, covered in what looks like Solarfilm.
You can buy a complete 3M DG-1000 for $77 + shipping, which isn't too bad.
Cheers for now :)

Last edited:

mjcp

Ooo.. zombie thread... bad from the dead ;-)

Its actually made by a firm called Scorpio who made them a few years back and don't seem to be running these days..

In the end, I made a "T" tail plane from the measurements provided hear and on RC Groups.

After all of that, I have been flying my Flyfly 4m DG808 most!

Cheers,
mjcp