FT Versacopter build SERIOUS MOTOR AND ESC ISSUES

WhyHelloThere

Hi, I recently started on my second multirotor build, so I bought the FT Versacopter frame with Power Pack E, however, I'm having serious issues with the motors jittering. Whenever I power up, from the tx or motor testing tab in cleanflight, one or two motors go on and the others jitter. If I increase the the throttle, they jitter more and get really hot. Not good. Can you guys help me? Cause I don't wanna drop $100 on a new power pack and I don't know if FT does returns, cause it seems like I have bad motors or ESCs. It's also weird because when I move the motors around to different ESCs, there's no specific motor or ESC causing issues, the ones that jitter appear random. And, yes, I calibrated the ESCs. Also, is it possible to kill an ESC by heating it with a soldering iron for too long? Please help me figure this out soon; I'd like to be in the air ASAP. BTW, I'm using a Naze32 rev6 and an ORX receiver. Merry Christmas, you guys are the best!!

earthsciteach

Yes, it is possible to kill an esc by overheating it with a soldering iron. Are you using bullet connectors or soldering the escs directly to the motor leads? Do you have any escs that you know work so that you can test each motor individually? Jittery motors are often due to poor soldering.

WhyHelloThere

Thanks for replying, but unfortunately I don't have any ESCs I know work for sure. I am using the included bullets, but it's very possible I have bad solder joints on the PCB board. Would those connections being bad cause the jitters? I'm hesitant to desolder the bullets and directly solder the wires because I'd like to be able to return the Power pack if a motor is broken. Thanks!!

KMD

Not sure if it'll help but this has happened to me on occasion and the causes for each are below:

1. Some of the insulation on the motor wires had been nicked and two of the three wires were shorting.

2. When attaching the motors to the mounts, the bolts were too long and actually touched the windings inside the motor. This was a tricky one as on one of the motors simply changing the bolts fixed it but on another the bolt had scratched off the clear insulation on the windings and it never worked again.

3. Blown ESC. Never found out the cause of it blowing as it was new at install but replacing it fixed the issue.

Hope something there helps ya!

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
Looking at the video makes me worry that you turned the screws in too far. There is nothing to stop them from hitting the motor windings.

WhyHelloThere

You're right. I looked at them and I accidentally used the longer screws when installing the motors, so there's 2 indents on the coil in each motor(Bye, bye any chance of returning them). So they're all broken, but luckily I checked my ESCs and they all still work fine. I'm gonna order new motors from amazon and they'll arrive tomorrow. I'll keep you guys updated, but do you know if my current motors are fixable? Thanks for all the help.

KMD

It's possible, I have had some luck with the motors I broke in the same way. If you take them apart and gently unwind the windings until the part that was damaged, and if the only damage is to the clear insulation then sometimes a dab of CA can coat the area.

It is a lot of work though and my problem was even if I thought I'd fixed it, I never really trusted it again.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
Motors can be rewound. You can find info on that all over the web. If you order the same motors again at least you will have lots of spare parts for them if you don't rewind.

WhyHelloThere

UPDATE: I got new motors from Amazon, installed them(with the right screws) and it flies beautifully. I just need to tune it, throw on my GoPro and buy some new batteries. Also, I think I would've bought 2 new motors eventually anyway to have all self tightening nuts to hold the props on. But, at least I have lots of spare motor parts now, and I'll try to rewind the broken motors, but as you said, I'll never trust them. Thanks you guys so much for the help, and my Versacopter flies great!!!!!