6" Pocket Racer

micro_builder

Whipped this up the other night, 6" version of the 17" model I built a few years ago. Was pleasantly surprised with how well it flew, despite an old battery that just doesnt have the oomph anymore. Not exactly the fast thing I've ever built, but in scale speed its pretty quick lol

6" span, 2 channel, all balsa, MiRX32M RX, 4x12mm brushed motor, homemade actuator for rudder.

Didnt do a build video, but heres some pictures I snapped along the way.

New camera arriving soon, so theres more than just a few pixels to look at during the video...

Nick

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Tench745

Master member
That's a quick little bugger isn't it. Reminds me of a hummingbird somehow. I'm curious why you went with balsa for the fuse and not some kind of foam. I feel like at this scale either would be pretty stiff proportionally, but I've never built a flying model this tiny either. It's definitely an art form.
Sounds like Psy has a new pet peeve. (Welcome back, my friend!) Flying low and close probably makes a lot of the difference here, but the good camera work is always appreciated.

TooJung2Die

Master member
I did not expect a low wing airplane that small to be stable. I expected it to drop a wing tip and dive when turning. No elevator. 😲 Amazing. Well done!

Last edited:

micro_builder

That's a quick little bugger isn't it. Reminds me of a hummingbird somehow. I'm curious why you went with balsa for the fuse and not some kind of foam. I feel like at this scale either would be pretty stiff proportionally, but I've never built a flying model this tiny either. It's definitely an art form.
Sounds like Psy has a new pet peeve. (Welcome back, my friend!) Flying low and close probably makes a lot of the difference here, but the good camera work is always appreciated.

Thank you! I've seen some pretty amazing micros made with foam, so its definitely possible, I've just always been a balsa guy, find it very easy/forgiving to work with at this size, but has a fair bit of strength...I can be a bit heavy handed at times, I'd probably end up squishing a foam version...

micro_builder

I did not expect a low wing airplane like that small to be stable. I expected it to drop a wing tip and dive when turning. No elevator. 😲 Amazing. Well done!

I was a bit surprised too, to be honest, I was expecting a lot more trimming, but she just about flew right off the bench. You can see when it starts a turn, it'll kind of flop over to that side, but just stays on the wing and doesnt tip out. I did give it a fairly large vertical stabilizer, I'm sure thats helping. Thanks!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

hehe which of my many seems new to you from this thread? I merely commented from the point of view from a half blind old man! ;)

darkdhl

hey dark here! i was wondering if you could take more pictures of the plane if you still know where it is! lol, i am attempting to replicate your micro plane and have so far completed the body i REALLY need more guidance on this and was wondering what the dimensions of the wings are and want to know how you made the things servo, a how to would be EXCELLENT if you have the time for it but extra descriptions, advice and directions would be GREAT awaiting your reply!
dark, side note: how did you attach the control surfaces? i really need guidance on that too

Last edited: