90 mm EDF 007 James Bond Micro Jet

cyclone3350

Master member
Got bored with the Gee Bee so I need a break from balsa & doing this foam build. I originally saw this on another forum here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1968930-BD5-Pusher I had this 90mm that I got from a swap meet & was thinking I could upscale this one to take it. I later found that a bunch of folks did do this one in a 70mm so now I know I am on to something. Took the original plans & tiled printed @ 50% the size I wanted. Laid it out on my drafting board ( yes, I'm that old @ don't do CAD yet ) & proceeded to make the changes to accommodate the EDF & retracts. The plan is to hot wire the inlet & saddle portion for the EDF to sit in & will hot wire the wings & tail as well. The main fuse structure will be the last of my 6mm depron with DTFB wrapping around that. Took a couple of days to get the wire cutting sorted out for the motor but I finally got it to where it should work. It will be 1/16" balsa sheeted for the added strength & plywood attachment insert for the motor to bolt on to. I think I will make the rest of the thrust tube with DTFB, paper removed & steamed curled. It will be 51" WS. & estimating to weigh in over 6lbs. Might be closer to 7 as this will also be an 8s power. Probably won't go with the James Bond colors from Octopussy, but will decide on that later.
d25xekq-56a18e04-d6ab-4ae3-98e6-ddbb5fb01627.png
Image 114.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5874 (2).JPG
    IMG_5874 (2).JPG
    744 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5875.JPG
    IMG_5875.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5876.JPG
    IMG_5876.JPG
  • IMG_5877.JPG
    IMG_5877.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5879.JPG
    IMG_5879.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5885.JPG
    IMG_5885.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5880.JPG
    IMG_5880.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5886.JPG
    IMG_5886.JPG
  • IMG_5890.JPG
    IMG_5890.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5887.JPG
    IMG_5887.JPG
  • IMG_5888.JPG
    IMG_5888.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5889.JPG
    IMG_5889.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0

Ligbaer

50 Percenter
Got bored with the Gee Bee so I need a break from balsa & doing this foam build. I originally saw this on another forum here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1968930-BD5-Pusher I had this 90mm that I got from a swap meet & was thinking I could upscale this one to take it. I later found that a bunch of folks did do this one in a 70mm so now I know I am on to something. Took the original plans & tiled printed @ 50% the size I wanted. Laid it out on my drafting board ( yes, I'm that old @ don't do CAD yet ) & proceeded to make the changes to accommodate the EDF & retracts. The plan is to hot wire the inlet & saddle portion for the EDF to sit in & will hot wire the wings & tail as well. The main fuse structure will be the last of my 6mm depron with DTFB wrapping around that. Took a couple of days to get the wire cutting sorted out for the motor but I finally got it to where it should work. It will be 1/16" balsa sheeted for the added strength & plywood attachment insert for the motor to bolt on to. I think I will make the rest of the thrust tube with DTFB, paper removed & steamed curled. It will be 51" WS. & estimating to weigh in over 6lbs. Might be closer to 7 as this will also be an 8s power. Probably won't go with the James Bond colors from Octopussy, but will decide on that later.
View attachment 223799 View attachment 223800
Looking forward to the final product.

OliverW

Legendary member
Can't wait to see how this one turns out. I'm sure it'll be nothing less than perfect! I'm in the opposite boat you are, got burned out on foam and am going back to balsa 😆

cyclone3350

Master member
Made some poster board templates, then cut out the foam and have it dry fitted. Not the strength that I need in it's current form, so balsa reinforcing will do the trick. If U R wondering how this thing will breath, look back @ the isometric. I have to cut out the tube's lower half in front of the motor's intake & NACA vents will be on the sides of the fuse skins.

IMG_5893.JPG
IMG_5894.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5896.JPG
    IMG_5896.JPG
  • IMG_5895.JPG
    IMG_5895.JPG

cyclone3350

Master member
@cyclone3350 what is the intake area to FSA (Fan sweep area)? It may be necessary to scale up the NACA intakes.

The lower half of the intake tube from the motor fan to the slanted former will be removed & NACA scoops will allow it to draw air form the sides as in this Black Horse version. I am going to have the intakes up higher & behind the canopy, more inline with the intake cut out. I have a FSA of 51cm2 or about 7.8"sq. this puts my NACA triangle 2.5"W X 3.75"L. That is the plan, always looks good on paper but, we shall see how it works.
bd-5j-von-black-horse-mit-kolibri-t35.jpg

cyclone3350

Master member
That 6mm depron was definitely too weak & brittle to hold the weight for the motor & batts. I added 1/32" balsa to both sides of the deck & that worked out extremely well. The only problem was that was going to take up way too much time to do the rest of the parts that way. Not to mention adjusting all the grooves for the additional thickness. I had this stuff, carbon fiber veil, & wondered how this will work. Made a test piece & wow, what an improvement in strength. I did some research, & it looks like for this type of application, it shouldn't interfere with the 2.4 reception as this stuff is as thin as Jap Tissue. Needless to say, I'm going to run a satellite RX for that extra protection. I still will do an extensive range test when done. I figure the worst that can happen, is that I will have to run the antenna externally. To apply it, I first sprayed the formers with 3M 77 to stick it down, & Mod Podge Hard Coat sealed it on. I find this to be much sturdier that DTFB, not as stiff as the balsa bonded foam. While it will bend more that the balsa, it will bend much further without breaking as compared to the balsa. I also found that Foam Safe CA will bond extremely well to this stuff. The total weight as shown is 7.5 oz so far. Bought a canopy for the 90mm Freewing T-45 to se if it would fit. I think it might work.
IMG_5908.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5898.JPG
    IMG_5898.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5899.JPG
    IMG_5899.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5900.JPG
    IMG_5900.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5901.JPG
    IMG_5901.JPG
  • 0 bytes · Views: 0
  • IMG_5902.JPG
    IMG_5902.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5905.JPG
    IMG_5905.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5906.JPG
    IMG_5906.JPG

cyclone3350

Master member
Spent a fair amount of time trying to figure out where the heck to put all the goodies that is going drive this thing. The other issue I'm having, is how to make the holes big enough to make this thing breathe efficiently. It looks like I can get enough intake surface areas by sucking air from three holes. I'm bought some plastic parts from various Freewing jets to see what I can make work. It looks like I can put a grill on the top. I will have to trim it down a little, but I should make it fit. I've must have done a good job on calculating the thrust tube reduction. went with 87% of FSA. I bought this 90mm F-104 thrust nozzle & can't believe how this slid in perfectly. As far as the side intakes, I'm going to do just that. I think a set of ram air on the sides will do better than the original scale flush NACA vents. I also decided to lengthen it bit on the back end so that it won't look so pudgy. I traced over the iso drawing with the added length & to get an idea as to how the side scoops will look. It's a rough sketch, but if I can get it to look something like this, I would be happy with it. The nose gear installed is about the only thing of substance that actually got done.
IMG_5917 (2).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5915.JPG
    IMG_5915.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5909.JPG
    IMG_5909.JPG
  • IMG_5911.JPG
    IMG_5911.JPG
  • IMG_5910.JPG
    IMG_5910.JPG
  • IMG_5918.JPG
    IMG_5918.JPG
  • IMG_5919.JPG
    IMG_5919.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5913 (2).JPG
    IMG_5913 (2).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5912.JPG
    IMG_5912.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0

cyclone3350

Master member
You had this piece off earlier. I recommend leaving it off permanently, so long as it doesn't compromise structural integrity.

View attachment 224275

(y)
That is where the cut is going. Won't make it yet until I know for what shape the intake I will decide on & plan on running a duct for exact fit & flow. Something similar like this.

Attachments

• BD-5 Blackhorse jlk69 20200730_152636.jpg
    BD-5 Blackhorse jlk69 20200730_152636.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0

skymaster

Elite member
wow you are going to use a 70mm EDF with 12 blades and so little space for vents. I agree with Baron vonhelton . that motor does not have enough space to intake air.