Airfield charging solutions. from car battery

YAMA

Pro Prop Annihilator
Hi everyone. Im looking for a solution to charge my batteries while at my clubs airfield. I saw a couple guys charging of of there car batteries and i thought that was a great idea only issue is i drive an old diesel pickup that pulls a lot from its 2 batteries. Last week i charged some batteries and when i was leaving i thought she wasnt going to turn over. i plan on purchasing a small car battery and charging it up to bring with me. Use alligator clips from the battery terminals to xt60 male which will go straight into the DC input on my charger (its nice that it has DC input too. 11-18v.

So i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or they've done something similar to charge at you airfield or if this idea of mine wont work before i go and waste my money on it. seems legit to me.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I would recommend investing in a deep discharge lead acid battery that is typically popular in the marine or mobility chairs use. They will last longer, but because they will last longer, they are heavier and costlier.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
For my field box I use a SLA 12V battery and I charge it using my charger from mains supply when at home. My charger does Lipos and lead acid batteries.

What works for me!

Have fun!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
The two club fields I've frequented have solar charging stations that they hooked up to deep cycle batteries.

Solar panel kits can be had for about $200 through Harbor Freight (which is what my club has on the top of our storage container), and it's wired in to a couple of deep cycle batteries inside the container itself. Deep cycle batteries run anywhere from $100-$300, depending on whether you're using a good Optima Blue Top or just a regular deep cycle battery with 675-800 CCA. I'd put everything you need somewhere in the neighborhood of $500-$700 for a permanent station.

If you're flying at a club field, that's a small investment for all users to have the ability to charge their batteries onsite...

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Car & deep cycle batteries all work fine.
It may be cheaper and easier to just buy more flight packs and charge them at home.