Any Radio engineering Veterans on this forum?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I am a RAAF, (Aussie), trained defence veteran with electronics and communications qualifications but sadly I do not have the appropriate degree.

There is a legal battle going on here and I am seeking a professional engineer to evaluate my position based upon what I was taught about Spread Spectrum radio.

I will exchange the professional information for a new application to suit global amputee veterans in flying radio controlled model aircraft and Drones using all available channels using a single hand/arm.

Have fun!

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I have an Electrical Engineering degree and my HAM license, but it has been a while since I did any wave design. That said, I don't see what spread spectrum has to do with a controller that can be used with one hand.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
If you agree I can continue with the explanation via PM.
That said you should understand that the modern digital radios we use are actually Spread Spectrum radios of various types ranging from simple Direct sequence modulation through to Advanced Frequency Hopping types.
If you were to check on the transceiver chips used in various designs you would see they are such.
Digital radio (2.4GHz) equates to spread spectrum.

Have fun!

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
If you agree I can continue with the explanation via PM.
That said you should understand that the modern digital radios we use are actually Spread Spectrum radios of various types ranging from simple Direct sequence modulation through to Advanced Frequency Hopping types.
If you were to check on the transceiver chips used in various designs you would see they are such.
Digital radio (2.4GHz) equates to spread spectrum.

Have fun!

sure you can send me the info and I can let you know if it is something I can address.... but again the radio link is unrelated to the input controller to the radio. What I would do in your situation is get a transmitter with a trainer port -> built a 1 handed controller using a micro controller that sends out PPM pulses to the trainer port. Then you can use that custom controller with a standard radio to handle the radio link itself. (the other option would be to do something that supports a multi-protocol module, however that would be a whole lot more complicated).

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
sure you can send me the info and I can let you know if it is something I can address.... but again the radio link is unrelated to the input controller to the radio. What I would do in your situation is get a transmitter with a trainer port -> built a 1 handed controller using a micro controller that sends out PPM pulses to the trainer port. Then you can use that custom controller with a standard radio to handle the radio link itself. (the other option would be to do something that supports a multi-protocol module, however that would be a whole lot more complicated).
Reply via PM

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Heh, this is a bit off topic, and mostly irrelevant, but it's funny (to me) how this thread fits in with a memory I have of my experience in the US Army during some training about radio (voice) communications gear.

I was in during the early to mid 90's when we were transitioning from the analog PRC-77 VHF radios (nicknamed "Prick 77's") to newer SINCGARS radios that operated on a single channel or frequency hopping mode. At the time (not sure now) the frequency hopping mode was classified (secret I believe) and I was in a general military class reviewing commo gear for a deployment. I distinctly remember the instructor/trainer saying "ok, here's the new radio you might find in the field. Oh wait, I don't know of any of you are cleared for this... eh, who cares. You're going to run into these radios, you should at least know what they look like..."

He went on to brief us on the differences between the sets. Haha, just an interesting anecdote about how classified technology or information is sometimes handled in arbitrary ways, and how some of the same way those technologies get classified or unclassified in random ways as well.