Anyone tried to retrofit Flyzone Aircore planes with own electronics ?

dgrigor02

I was at the local hobbyshop and they had some flyzone aircore warbird planes ( airframe only ) on clearance. To good to pass up.

I have no intentions of buying the aircore powerpod especially since I don't own any txr transmitters.

Thought it was worth a gamble to pick one up and add my own electronics.

It looks doable. Might be heavier than stock.

I've got 1804, 2s battery and some 4g servos. I'm going to give it a shot.

Has anyone retrofit one yet ?

Last edited:

fidi tunka

funny that this thread shows up right now ...
i was at my lhs yesterday and saw this flyzone aircore planes for the first time and thought the exact same thing.
but i had allready forgot about it when i was home again.
so thanks for bringing it up!

i have two spare 2204 2300kv motors and 12a blheli ESCs here ... but i have not checket out the specs of the stock aircore yet.

but i will pick one up when i get back to the store...
they had a zero that looked nice ....

let me know if you try it!

dgrigor02

I haven't fully assembled yet but with 4g servos, 1804 , 10amp esc, 340mah 2s battery it weighs in a 145grams. The box say 122grams. So even with 1804 its going to be at least 20grams heavier. There seems to be plenty of room for battery placement and get the CG right.

I'm think 2204 is going to be way overkill and even heavier.

NoleBlooded235

I know that this is a very old thread at this point, still if anyone is interested I have actually done the retrofitting on one of the Folkwulfe 190..when I first got into RC flying I really wanted a warbird..particularly a 190...I think that’s natural, but nevertheless I opted for a Wltoys Cessna and scratch building instead. However one day on eBay I realized that one could purchase an aircore airframe >$40! And I thought it was too good to pass up...I have flown it around a few times and really enjoy it; however I have been tinkering with the idea of doing another one due to the relative affordability and awesome durability of the airframe..I have been contemplating maybe using a 1306-3100KV or maybe the 1306 4200KV version on it to see what it flies like with that on 2S..I’m not sure if it will be enough or not; but the specs for static thrust online suggest that the 1306-3100KV on 7.4V(accounting for sag) should produce around 200Gs or thrust...and over 270 at absolute full charge at full throttle...all of this with a 5030 prop...I think maybe it would make a decent motor for it?

The Folkwulfe has this if anyone is interested:

2211-2300KV Turnigy Brushless
3- 1.7G HK servos
12A Turnigy Plush
5030 prop
It will straight up boogie...on 2S 300Mah or 250mah

However for the “brushless upgrade saga” for my recent 1S micro build on the Cessna, I found myself in moments of disparity for the dream of it running on the 1104-8000KV/1S and found myself in desperation to get into the air purchasing a number of 1306 motors for it; that now consequently don’t have an airframe to go into...maybe this would be a decent option for someone not wanting the weight or thrust from something like the 2211, 2204, or 1806”s..

With that said; there are a number of vendors out there now that are currently building to this market...not aircore, but same concept just minus the core...Ebay has a P-40, a Corsair, and something else...as well as Fokker D.r.1”s and maybe another WW1 airframe..they are all Depron, so clearly someone either bought it before it was out or idk...but they are all about the same size as the aircore airframes..at the $25 price point....so if anyone is still interested in this concept, then perhaps that is a place to start if aircore stuff can no longer be found...

I however; will probably just stick to scratch building the Ft plans for now on though...but it is always tuff to let those pretty aircore airframes time out on auction or go to waste at that price point...hope this helps someone out there...I seem to have a penchant for the more obscure/difficult to find RC plane projects...