anything I can do with a GR-16L?

mattk

Hi all, new to the hobby, new to the forum (I've been poking around and reading all week).

This week I ordered a versacopter and I'm in the midst of assembling it. Being my first time trying this, I'm trying to follow the configuration in the build video as closely as I can.

So I ordered a Graupner MZ-12 and a GR-18 (separately since it doesn't appear that the bundle is in stock). In the box with the MZ-12 was a GR-16L. What type of projects could I build around a GR-16L? Would it work with a plane project? Any suggestions for where to start?

Thanks so much.

Matt

dgrigor02

Yes, the gr-16 can work for any fixed wing aircraft. As far as which to build if you have never flown before: ft flyer is a good first choice. Easy to build and fly.

Last edited:

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
It's an 8ch receiver. You can use it on any non-micro size plane or multi rotor. Obviously with a multi-rotor you will need a Flight controller in addition (eg Naze 32 etc.) . It has some nice features although it's not that clear how you use them. For example I think SUMO is the same a CPPM/PPM out, a serial protocol that combines the servo signals and saves wiring particularly with Flight controllers although it probably has uses on models with lots of high powered servos too. It even has a telemetry feature which I think the MZ12 can take advantage of directly. Possibly you configure them on the transmitter.

http://www.openhobby.com/front/productdetail.php?productcode=001000000000001635&sort=

At 12g its not the lightest but not that heavy either, it's fairly small at 46x21x14 mm and has end servo connectors which is usually more convenient (funny..they mis-converted the inches and it says its 10.83 inches wide :) )

With 8 channels you can potentially do all the normal plane things and then some - differential ailerons, differential throttle, flaps, retracts - all on the same plane. EDIT: Of course the MZ12 is only a 6 channel TX so that would make it a bit more challenging :) Sorry, missed that. But I think there might be a feature on that TX that let's you use all 8 channels - something about 2 additional digital channels on SJ receivers but it's not well described.

You can put it on pretty much any non micro sized, receiver ready (almost ready to fly) plane (eg Bixler series or planes you can buy at your local hobby shop) and fly those. I don't think any of the FliteTest planes need more than 7 channels even fully tricked out with all options. Many only require 3. Any of those would be fine.

I agree the FT Flyer seems a good place to start. Easy to build and it's only 3 ch so an easy setup.

Last edited:

Gryf

Ditto on the FT Flyer. You can also add ailerons pretty easily, and turn it into a 4-channel with great performance. Here's a pic of mine at Flite Fest, along with the rest of the fleet. Click to enlarge, and you can see the ailerons pretty clearly: https://www.flickr.com/photos/safety_fast/19723608272/in/album-72157655521361048/

As for myself, I learned to fly with an Old Fogey, but the Fogey can have stability issues - whereas the Flyer did just great right off the workbench.

Gryf