Balancing Unbalanced LiPo Batteries

orange_rc_pilot

If he can, then so can I!
Hi all,

I recently had an issue with one of my batteries being horribly unbalanced. It was a Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 30C battery, with very few flights on it. I was balance-charging it, and I noticed that it stopped at 12.29V, so I went into the balance menu on my charger and found out that the cells were completely unbalanced!

Cell 1: 3.86V
Cell 2: 4.21V
Cell 3: 4.22V

My first instinct was to try recharging them, but it would charge at 0.1A, and would have no effect on the cells whatsoever.

I then decided to discharge them, so I went into the storage mode on my charger, to take it down to 11.1V, but it timed out at 11.47V after 2 hours.

Cell 1: 3.68V
Cell 2: 3.89V
Cell 3: 3.90V

But at least the cells were closer to each other than before. So I balance-charged it yet again, and timed out at 12.51V this time.

Cell 1: 4.11V
Cell 2: 4.19V
Cell 3: 4.21V

Getting there! I discharged it again, to take it down to nominal voltage, and managed to reach 0.06V difference in the cells. However, when I charged it back up, I came to the same state as previously, with 0.1V difference. So I discharged it again, but this time I went all the way down to 10V roughly. And the cells were now only 0.02V apart! So I charged it one final time, and guess what; all the cells were balanced!

Cell 1: 4.19V
Cell 2: 4.20V
Cell 3: 4.20V

So that's how I managed to balance my batteries. I hope you will have the same success in the future! Please leave a comment if you've had any interesting issues with dodgy LiPos.

Hope this helps!

dayve

Relevant RCModelReviews video:

Just after the 6:00 mark he explains why your charger behaves like that when you try to balance charge a pack in that state.