Check you lipo's

skymaster

Elite member
So 2 days ago it was time to check on my lipo's. found out one of my very first one's i have ever owned. has gone bad one of the cells has dropped to 0.000.
that is the first cell the other cells are at 3.9 and 4.0. i am goig to try and make it into a 2 cell by removing the damaged cell. any one ever do that and is it safe?

Attachments

• IMG_20230124_115934590.jpg
    IMG_20230124_115934590.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230124_115947480.jpg
    IMG_20230124_115947480.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230124_120013393.jpg
    IMG_20230124_120013393.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

MrClean

Anything is do-able. Looks like there is some pack swelling, possible your other cells are just around the corner OR are fine, an inspection is the only way to tell. Discharge first for minimum sparkativity. Looks like it's 21 bucks on amazon for a new 3 cell.
Question, is it worth it?
Make sure you work where you can get rid of the fire and smoke, things go south, throw it out. And I don't mean, hey look it's starting to swell, let me put down the soldering iron, unplug anything I'm hooked too, step over the cat, go downstairs, open the door (its winter here) and then see if there's a safe space to pitch it in this apartment parking lot. I'f I'm working on a lipo the garage door in my workshop is open and I'm half outside anyways on a tiled tabletop. I feel safer working on Life because, they don't turn into road flares. But as usual, storage and charging are always a consideration with Lipo's. You're doing it at your own risk and it would be a while before I trust it more then the potential road flare they are normally.
And now, I feel unsure about posting this much. I can hear the lawyer say "Well this guy online said do it, in as many words....."

It's my main qualm with Lipos and electric flying. Nicads? You charge em wrong and they'll blow up. Rarely catching stuff on fire. But past that, innert bricks, stress the brick part. Don't get to the flying field, top it off and go fly the next time. They'll discharge themselves and have plenty of cycles, they didn't care. Lipo's? You have to buy them flowers on Valentines day and STILL they said NO ROSES!!! Charge them and hey, something came up or the weather was bad. Wait a week, better put them on storage charge. Do that enough OR come back to fly 5 months later after putting them on storage, only 75% capacity now? There's 40 bucks I'll never get back. I have perilli rubber thats lasted longer then Lipos and that's after I lubed the motor.
It's getting better but I can't wait till something better comes along.

Inq

Elite member
Sometimes it's possible to recover a bad cell... at least for Li-Ion. I've done it on several occasions with 18650 cells. I've had about a 70% success rate on cells registering less than 1.0V. You simply put a fully charged cell in parallel to the bad cell for about 5 seconds is good enough. It'll bring it up to 2.5 to 3V in that time and your charger will recognize it. As @MrClean said do it in a safe place...

There are tons of YouTube doing this... https://www.instructables.com/Recovering-18650-Lithium-Batteries-With-Only-a-Pap/

Edit: You can even do it while its still in the pack if you can get to the cell and know which one it is. "Jump it" for 5 to 10 seconds and see if you're smart charger will recognize it.