Balsa Baby Blender Build

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
Well...I got home from work today, there was zero wind. Rushed getting it finished-ish, threw the battery on the charger. I got the battery on, checked the control surfaces, throttle, etc. Checked the CG..might be a little tail heavy, moved the battery a bit more forward, still a little tail heavy, but should be flyable...went to the door....rain.

ugh...pulled up the weather...days and days of rain. Discharged the battery. off to something else.

As for the cg, I think I might add a small spinner, I have the biggest battery on it I have.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Yup, Ludicris said it best. "...jus' bought a plane so we changin' the weather now."

I know it should be built instead of bought but it's still raining! /sigh/ Same thing happens to me...

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
IT HAS HAD IT'S MAIDEN FLIGHT...
Documented here, on the youtube.

What I learned on this flight, It doesn't balloon up quite as badly as the BB, My landings suck and I need less bouncy landing gear. :) And a little repair to the firewall.

I had to tape 2 .45 230grain slugs to the nose to get it to balance. It is balanced at the same point as the BB.

I like it so far! :)

Patrick

Congratulations! That is awesome. I love the baby blender too! One of my favorites indeed. I never could land the thing either! I have finally started to land it a but better, I wasn't keeping the power on long enough. Now I fly it onto the ground, I was trying to glide in and flare. I do variations on your landing too! It takes so many of those, right? Tough. I'll bet the balsa build is even stronger. Good job, it's quite pretty. Remarkable!

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I'm wondering if it might be a little tail heavy. That would cause that erratic behavior when you slow down or turn.

You sure did build one rugged yet great looking plane!

Was I the only one, or did anyone else expect a truck to appear out of nowhere and smoosh the plane, even after all the times he looked both ways up and down the street?

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
Yeah, after watching the video a few times, it is still tail heavy. It was pitchy at take off and then got really pitchy at landing. At speed it was good, no adjustment to elevator trim was need once it got enough airspeed. If I had landed it with a bit more throttle, it would have been fine.

As for my run way...I can see 3/4 of a mile to the left, but only 1/4 of a mile to the right. There is just not enough traffic to worry about. There was no wind so I could use the road, but typically the wind is to my back here so cross wind take off and landings are the norm.

Patrick

I find the cg very difficult to locate on the BB. From the top wing, she just hangs and subtly tilts back or forward when you check it. Is that just how it is? I don't see anyway around it. I just do like Bixler and make sure it's nose heavy.

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
I've got the CG a bit farther forward, more where it is on the foam version, fly great! It does not, however like to land. I made new LG out of aluminum, looks great! Took off good, flew great, then on landing, the gear caught the edge of the "runway" and ripped them off!
IMG_20140420_131253_929.jpg

So I'll reattach the gear (every repair is moving the cg forward :black_eyed:) and see how it goes from there!

Patrick, that is pretty much how you check the cg with the baby blender. I liked mine a little nose heavy (like just barely nose down) and it flew great...it does have a tendency to nose over on landings though, I don't know if I would try to land it on grass.

PeterGregory

CrossThread Industries
More videos, please!

Keep the videos coming. You're onto something here. A great looker and keep us posted as you dial her in.

Cheers - Poughkeepsie Pete

PS Your color scheme reminds me of Florida resort awnings of the 1930's.