Bare DTFB plane landing in snow?

Just a quick question for me & my present weather conditions this weekend -

I've got a plane I want to maiden tomorrow but we got a bit of snow Wednesday night. Everything's wet! I didn't paint this plane and it's white DTFB. Tomorrow will be warmer and only a slight chance of rain, but it'll be melty and wet.
What are your experiences with this? Just land as close to your feet as you can, and pick it up & wipe it off? Or don't even try?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
If it's dry powdery snow or cold enough to be completely frozen, you don't really need treatment. You just have to blow all the snow off before you bring the plane into a warm environment because you'll get water spots.

Nah I'm afraid this is just a bad idea. Untreated paper vs wet slushyness. I was just really keen on finally flying this thing this weekend, hoping somebody will say yeah just wipe it off real quick...

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
get some spray paint or some polyurethane to coat it. doesn't take long, a lot less time than building it again. as soon as anything get above freezing it is gonna cause problems.

laters,

me :cool:

get some spray paint or some polyurethane to coat it. doesn't take long, a lot less time than building it again. as soon as anything get above freezing it is gonna cause problems.

laters,

Yeah thanks - I was thinking I could fake it, I do have white, I could just slap a coat of white on the bottom. But I have a lot I'm doing today. In the middle of soldering right now. Ugh. SO time consuming. And anyway I'd wind up having to tape off the installed servos and control rods and stuff. Pftht. Just 'cause I'm in a hurry to get up in the air. I should just cool my jets.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
ya maybe, just use clear packing tape on bottom of skids. why not? so long as you don't tank the plane into the snow that should work. also quick and easy.

goo dluck,

joelspangler

I often remove paper and cover the foam with colored packaging tape. I buy mine from hobbyking and they call it wing tape. They have several colors.

I built my snowball this way and it's been fine in snow and even on the grass. I did also use some plastic from a 2-liter on the skids themselves, but the other parts that touch the snow often have held up fine.

Last edited:
I often remove paper and cover the foam with colored packaging tape. I buy mine from hobbyking and they call it wing tape. They have several colors.
Gotta love this forum. Ask a half-dumb question and ALL the ideas come out.
Removing the paper first? Sounds like you're achieving a good weight tradeoff. If it keeps whatever rigidity it needs then that's a smart idea. (y)

joelspangler

Gotta love this forum. Ask a half-dumb question and ALL the ideas come out.
Removing the paper first? Sounds like you're achieving a good weight tradeoff. If it keeps whatever rigidity it needs then that's a smart idea. (y)
yep - plenty of strength without paper with the new colored tape skins. I've used this on a lot of different models - not my idea. I think it was experimental airlines and the noob tube that popularized the idea.