Batteries: Large or Small?

NHS77

I've been testing different batteries on my 400 sized quad. With GoPro but without battery it weighs about 950g running 9" props (larger won't fit) on 980kv motors. Either 10" props or slightly higher kv motors would be better (punch outs are rather moderate) but it's what I have at the moment. Size and weight of the battery thus make quite a difference in performance.

I have two 3S 35C 3300mAh/3400mAh Lipos at about 280g each which give me about 10-11 min. of flight with ok performance. I also tested a 3S 25C 2200mAh at 150g (edit: it's 190g) which gave me almost 9 Min. with much better performance. So the reduction in weight almost makes up for the missing third in capacity while obviously delivering better performance.

My fourth battery is a 3s 10C 4000mAh at 250g which doesn't prolong flight time at all but is horrible in performance (even though HK argues that 10C in their Multistar series is more than enough for a multirotor.)

Now I wonder where the sweet spot is? Should I shop for even smaller / lighter batteries (like 3S 1500mAh) or would a massive 3S High-C with 5200mAh turn things around? Or should I even go for a 4S and if so either a lighter or larger one (performance obviously beeing improved by the extra cell)?

Lokking forward to your thoughts / experiences with this...

Last edited:

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
I'm going to watch your thread. There is a sweat spot. I have not found it. I am interested to hear where others find their happy medium.

I am flying an electrohub with MWF 1.5, 10" props, 980 kV, and stock booms. I added some fpv gear, camera, VTX and small 3S (the flight battery is primarily 4S).

The 4S, 40C 2200mah gives great performance. I do not know the exact flight time (just about the time I am ready for a break). The 3S 40C 2200mah gives ok performance. Flight time seems to be the same. Just not as zippy at the top of the throttle. I have used some 20C batteries (not paying attention) and you can feel the sag.

I was thinking about doubling up the 4S 2200mah to compare weight and performance to any additional flight time.

Another factor I will have to consider, which I am sure is a variable, is the type of flying. Sometimes I am zipping around trying to pretend like I am using a 250 race quad, while other times I am up floating about and looking around.

brizrobbo

I'll be watching this thread closely as well. I'm looking at some more batteries for my 450, and not sure whether to go 3s/4s and what C rating. I saw this guy sometime ago rave about the Zippy flightmax's. It was his "goto" battery and he was a professional AP pilot in Brazil. I must admit, I have had nothing but success with my Zippy's (that's if they survive the crashes. LoL).

NHS77

I have a feeling that brand names don't make much of a difference unless perhaps in terms of recharge cycles. (Although my first Turnigy puffed after 15 charges...). But I'm looking at the Zippy Compacts right now. These appear to be a good mix between capacity and size/weight. Seeing that I could almost get the same flight time out of a pack that is 90g lighter but only has two thirds the capacity I'm really after the weight right now. 2500 to 2800mAh with 25-30C (I don't think much more is needed for medium sized quad) at 200g or less would be perfect for my setup.

But it will be very different for every machine. I modded my original Electrohub to 750mm with angled aluminum arms, 980kv with 10x4.5 props - no cameras or extras on board. I tested it yesterday with that 10C/4000mAh Multistar LiPo I have. The thing took off at quarter stick - I never dared to give it full throttle. Much more power than on my loaded 400, but it only lasted about 6 Min. So here a heavy 6000mAh would probably be the right choice...

Happy LiPo shopping I guess ...

As for 4S: I have a feeling the extra weight that comes with it, will weigh my already beefy 400 down more and I'd have to use smaller capycities to make it fit... not sure how much benefit there will be.

SwaggyD

Battery Charger

I know this isnt about batter size, but I am a newbie and have no idea where else to ask this. I recently bought a 2200 mah Lipo battery (2.2 3 cell). I have no idea where to find a charger for this battery, whether it be on Hobbyking or anywhere else. Any help? Thanks!

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Welcome to the forums.

For a battery with that capacity, this Is my recommendation.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...AC_Charger_Discharger_1_6_Cells_GENUINE_.html
They are out of stock at the moment. I think the copy would work fine. This charger is pretty versatile AC or DC power and will charge a good range of batteries. It has more options and functions that I will probably ever use.

That is just my preference and I am sure that some more experienced people will weigh in with their recommendations.

SwaggyD

Welcome to the forums.

For a battery with that capacity, this Is my recommendation.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...AC_Charger_Discharger_1_6_Cells_GENUINE_.html
They are out of stock at the moment. I think the copy would work fine. This charger is pretty versatile AC or DC power and will charge a good range of batteries. It has more options and functions that I will probably ever use.

That is just my preference and I am sure that some more experienced people will weigh in with their recommendations.

Thanks for the quick reply!! When you say the copy, do you mean what the note on this products description is referring to?
"This is a Genuine iMAX B6AC charger. If you want a cheaper price, purchase the FAKE iMax B6. (search on the left for FY-B6AC)"

I searched for the FY-B6AC but i couldnt find it.

Thanks!