Bixler on 4S

jamieFL

The only reason I'm asking is that I have 5 2200mah 4S batteries and don't want to have to buy more batteries. If I add some expo to the throttle to limit full throttle to about 2/3 wouldn't that work out fine?

Also, which would be better off on 4S, the bixler or bixler 2?

quorneng

Master member
Using a 4S on a plane designed for a 3 has some significant issues.
1. Is the Bixler speed controller rated for 4S voltage both for motor control and for setting the correct LVC. In addition is the integral BEC that powers the radio & servos cleared for 4S?
2. The maximum rated current for both the motor and ESC must not be exceeded. You would have to limit your throttle to keep within their maximum current limits.
3. You will be carrying 30% more battery weight but with no more power available so the flight performance would be degraded.

Is the cost of a new 2200mAh 3S that high compared to having to replace a burned out motor and/or the ESC?

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
What quorneng said, plus, if you are able to use the motor and esc, you can put a smaller prop on (that spins faster) for similar performance.

jamieFL

The bixler is not supplied with an esc, so that part is not a problem. But, wouldn't there be an improvement in flight time on a 4S since you would be able to run at a lower throttle setting. So, that 30% extra weight should give more capacity and more time.

I don't know, but it makes sense to me.