BL upgrade for Delta Ray

RCnova

Hi out there

Im new in this Hobby and love FT and i learned a lot. Going to buy the Ft swappable next month ;)

But now i have another problem: Bought a Delta Ray a few days ago and was very happy that im able to fly this plane in beginner and advanced mode until my friend flew it in a tree and it hung there for 1 night with heavy rain :( after chopping the tree the next day and drying the plane it flew (with different full loaded lipo) but only for about 2 min on half throttle

My assumption: brushed 180 sized Motors dont work propperly any more

Now my question: is it possible to replace the brushed Motors with BL Motors similar sized without loosing SAFE Technology, Panic button and the 3 flight modes? And how can i do that? the main problem i think, is that the brushed esc is fixed and i have to turn it off somehow to install a brushless esc for a BL Motor.

some more power would be perfect but important is the SAFE because i want to use it as fun Flyer for night or with camera where SAFE would give me more safety ;)

thanks for some helpful comments

RCnova

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Since this one has the integrated board, it limits your options. Your best bet, unless you know a lot about electronics, is to just replace them with brushed. One other suggestion is to try to lubricate the motors you have. It almost sounds like they might be creating extra drag due to the overnight in a tree causing rust in the bearings or bushings.

RCnova

I apprehended that :(

So I go with brushed again...are there any stronger Versions which would fit instead of the 180 sized? Just dont know about the size and amp of the brushed esc...

RCnova

I did read a lot on that issue now... I found some brushed to brushless converter which should work with two esc's with bec

still wondering if i can use this one that i dont have to buy 2 converters:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__22679__Double_channel_ultra_micro_brushless_converter_.html?strSearch=brushless conv

and another Thing: on the Picture are only 3x2 wires ...one side the power supply for shure....but my brushless esc has 3 wires to plug in right? still wondering because other brushed to brushless converter look like this:
http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/Xtreme_Tail_Motor_Heat_Sink_p/ea-048.htm

someone experiences with a "converter Setup"?

Corbarrad

I did read a lot on that issue now... I found some brushed to brushless converter which should work with two esc's with bec

still wondering if i can use this one that i dont have to buy 2 converters:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__22679__Double_channel_ultra_micro_brushless_converter_.html?strSearch=brushless conv

and another Thing: on the Picture are only 3x2 wires ...one side the power supply for shure....but my brushless esc has 3 wires to plug in right? still wondering because other brushed to brushless converter look like this:
http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/Xtreme_Tail_Motor_Heat_Sink_p/ea-048.htm

someone experiences with a "converter Setup"?

The HK dual converter is most likely designed for 1s application only. you might be able to get away feeding it with 4.5v from one of your speed controllers inbuilt becs, but I wouldn't bet on it, it might go up in smoke. couldn't find any specs on it.
The wires are color coded per ESC. The orange wire shown soldered to "D" (or "A-Input" depending on what picture you look at) would need to be soldered to the brushed motors positive wire and the orange wire from "A" (or "A-Output") would go to your ESCs signal wire on the RX connector. The RX connectors power wire would have to go to the positive pad on the converter and ground to the negative converter.
Same goes for the other ESC and the blue pair of wires, only you'd have to leave the power wire unconnected.
You will also need to build a harness to power your control box and deliver power to the ESCs battery connectors.

I would probably go with the single converters you mentioned last. you can place one of them each with an ESC into your respective nacelles, positive and negative wires go to positive and negative from your brushed motor. Plug the ESCs rx plug into the converter and you're good to go... well, except for the fact that you will still need a power harness to connect both escs and the control box to the battery, but I guess there's no way around that.