Blunt Nose Versa FPV - build

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
I recently got my FPV gear and wanted a useful robust platform to fly it on. I decided to build a new Versa.

--------

IMG_2787.jpg

IMG_2794.jpg

IMG_2800.jpg

--------

It has a power pod which is surrounded with a rounded sort of a 'hull'. The blunt nose section is raised up slightly to accommodate a standard 2200 mAh Lipo instead of a slim one.

I have a problem though. The CG is too far back. I think a big camera like a GoPro is supposed to be the main form of weight in the front, but initially, I'm not putting one on here. So what should I use? I haven't got any lead weights. Any idea where I can get some from or what I should use instead?

I would appreciate the help!

Cheers.

Last edited:

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I use coins I've picked up from my travels (in fact, I have used some 1 quid coins as ballast) placed in small plastic bags. I fashioned a tray out of excess foam that I can stuff into the nose and remove depending on what I have mounted on my Versa (cameras, VTX, APM, etc). The battery keeps the tray in place.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
For simplicity, I'm with mak, but cheapest coin per weight (it's penny's for us, but might not be so elsewhere. Looks like the 1p and 2p coins are running neck-and-neck over there.)

Other alternitive is to drop by anwhere fishing suppies are sold and pick up fishing weights. Not sure of your envornmental rules, but here the lead weights are common and pretty cheap -- pound them flat enough on a hard surface with a hammer and you can shape them however you like by hand. Otherwise, in that section you could find Tungstan weights -- pricy option, but just about the densest material you can easily find.

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Cheers for the replies fellas.

I ended up putting doing something similar to the coin thing as a temporary measure apart from I used metal nuts taped to the inside of the wing at the leading edge. Seems to have done the trick anyway!

Did some test glides and it seems to nose down now (typical). Think it may be that the elevons are set too low. I'll let you know how I get on.

Nice one.

TehMaxwell

Tales of a Rookie
I have just maidened my Blunt Nosed Versa, I am going to use it for FPV as well. I have the same observation as you, it needs quite a bit of reflex before it flies straight and level. I would trim it out to fly straight and level, and then change the reflex mechanically. That way you can have your trims at zero.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Yes, I believe I have about 12-14 degrees of reflex mechanically set on my elevons.