California City First In Nation To Ban UAV Use.

calisao

FYI

The San Diego Union-Tribune (9/1) reports that Poway, California has become the “first city in the nation” to ban the use of UAVs, with its city council passing an “urgency ordinance” that temporarily bans the vehicles for 45 days. The measure was driven by concerns that UAVs “could hamper firefighting efforts,” and will stand until a more detailed, permanent ordinance is put into place. Mayor Steve Vaus said the city would only enforce the ban “to keep drones out of the skies when firefighting aircraft might be overhead.”

Rc high flyer

This makes toltal sense to me. Hear me out on this. The helies and planes will be flying at lower altitudes to drop water on the firer. If some one if getting airal shots there puting there lifes and others in danger. Most people do not understand how fast firer can move it can shift directions In a heart beat. Be for you know it your surounded and there is no way out. Not saying you fly over 500 ft but there are them idots that do and there puting the pilots lifes in danger. This makes sence to me also if you want to fly you said it is a city ban if you leave the city you might be able to fly. I can see both sides but this "ban" makes more sense than just nation wide ban.

High flyer, safe flights

PeterGregory

CrossThread Industries
We'll see more resolution over the next year, more restrictions.
There will be commercial certifications, as well as emergency-services certifications coming around.
That is the only way to allow this new technology.
Be ready to defend rights, though.
Politicians tend to gain the most votes by making a problem out of nothing.
"Don't let a good crisis go to waste!"

KuManChu

Once again I think a large bird like a goose would do more damage than most UAV's I have seen.

Beldraak

It's funny, when I was just getting into rc flying 20+ years ago, I wished it was more main stream so things would be easier to buy. Now with all the bad press I kind of wish it would go back to being a little more of a niche hobby, so we could all just fly and have fun. Be careful what you wish for I guess.