Calling All Pilots With A Super Cub With Safe Technology

baronbernie

A few days ago I ordered the Hobby Zone Super Cub S with SAFE technology and wondered how many others own a Super Cub. The wingspan is almost 48 inches and a over all length of almost 33 inches. It is a 3 channel plane with a good size electrical motor. What I would like to know is about your experiences with this plane, both good and bad. The battery connections are very odd, not ones I have ever seen before.

Thanx for your input.

earthsciteach

Hey, Bernie! The Super Cub is a very good airplane without the self-stabalizing technology. Add the SAFE, which has been very well reviewed, I can't see how it wouldn't be even better. Yes, the EC-3 connectors are different, but you can change those if you so desire.

The fuselage likes to break just ahead of the tail surfaces, but is easily fixed with tape and glue. The cowl is very fragile, but replacements are cheap and easily available.

The best thing about the Super Cub is upgrading it to 4 channels (I gave mine flaperons) and putting an oversized brushless motor in it. Then it becomes A LOT of fun!

ArcadeAir

Hi Bernie... Looks like we live in the same neck of the woods!

I am the proud owner of a Super Cub, my first plane. So far I have roughly 2.5 hours of flight time on it and I will say that I am having a great time with this plane. Having never flown a RC plane, I would wager that this is the BEST plane to learn on.

It took me three attempts to get this in the air because I did not have the confidence to goose the throttle enough to get her up there, but after the initial fear of destroying my first plane on the first flight, I settled in and got my nerve up. All these tries were rolling takeoffs.
The first flight was a good 150 yards at low altitude, maybe 25 ft or so. That was mistake #1. It crashed, no damage other than a few scratches in the prop. Lesson learned: Go 2 or 3 mistakes high so you can get a feel for the plane. Practice trimming it too.

The second flight was a total disaster. I went to our village park to fly. I had this strange feeling that there was not quite enough room to fly it there but I did it anyways. Got it stuck 20 foot up in a tree and it was stuck good too. Went to Valu and bought 3 10foot sticks ov PVC pipe and used that to retrieve my plane. Lesson learned: If you think theres not enough room, then there IS not enough room.

The third flight was a blast. Take off and climb 2 mistakes high. I used the whole 10 minutes in the air , then crashed while trying to land. Minor damage, no tape or glue needed. Lesson learned: Practice landing. Get a feel for the glide slope.

The next several flights were spent practicing landings. I can now land it on grass without flipping it over (even with the cubs small wheels) and I do very well on pavement. Lesson learned: Take the battery out of the plane when you are finished. I forgot to do this and now that battery is toasted.

I did a few things to maintain the plane also. I taped the leading edge of the wing with matching blue vynal tape. The edge is beginning to get a bit chewed up. I also taped the cowl with white vynal tape and it was getting beat up by my rough landings.

One battery will not be enough... I bought 2 more as it take an hour to charge one. I am getting solid 10 minute flights per battery. I would suggest getting a few more spare props also. I would wager that Fields Hobby Shop has them on the shelf.

My next move is to take some areal videos of the Arcade and Attica steam engine...:cool:

ArcadeAir

PS

I never turned on the ACT... (Anti Crash Technology)

From what I have read, It can cause a crash and IMHO, I dont think you will need it with this plane!

Hattsoff

I am so excited. I just ordered my Super Cub S from Hobby Zone tonight...not sure how long before it is delivered. All I have flown so far is my little Hubsan X4...multi-copters are what got me interested in the hobby and I wanted to start small. I have been so motivated for fixed wing based on about 20 podcasts and about double that number of videos from FliteTest.

I am very nervous to start flying...my wife is probably just as nervous (she is the book keeper). It sounds like this is one of the best planes and this new AS3X and SAFE I feel much better...

Really want to keep this thread going to compare notes as we keep going. Awesome details @ArcadeAir.

ArcadeAir

cub.jpg

Hi Hattsoff!
You will have a blast. I have over 5 hours of flight time on it now... notice the pic... underside of fuse in between the gear is my Mobius wide angle cam. I mounted it a few days ago but have not had good flying conditions since... tooo windy here.. maybe tomorrow I can post a video!

Nortmic

I love mine so far. A couple crashes. I bound the controller wrong and inadvertently turned off the safe. Gorilla glue and gorilla packing tape and my daughters and I were back in action. Loops were very easy to learn. So far my favorite flights are get it three mistakes high, cut the throttle, and just float around in circles and figure eights. Getting 10 minutes per battery and lipo checker shows them at 30% or so well above the swedes 80% rule. My daughters birthday is this month and they asked for a speed build kit after watching flitetest videos with me. We are having a blast