Help! Can 2300kv EDF connect to 80 amp flite test Esc?

Dawson

I want to buy two flite test EDFs to go on the flite test super Hornet. I have one flite test 80 amp ESC and was going to buy another to connect to the second EDF. On the Super hornet, it recommends these EDFs and recommends an 80 amp skywalker EDF ESC that they also sell on their store. I don’t know if these are specifically designed to be on EDFs or if both ESCs are universal with radial motors and EDFs. I was just wondering if the flite test 80 amp Esc could connect to them so I can just buy a second one instead of buying two skywalker ESCs. I also have a 6000 mAh 50C 6s battery with xt-90 connector and I was wondering if that battery can connect to both ESCs through a power Y-harness and won’t swell if it’s connected to both. Thanks

mastermalpass

Elite member
I’m not to experienced with EDFs, but as far as I know, if 80amps is what the EDF needs, any 80amps will do. I would choose to have two ESCs of the same brand, but that’s cause I don’t know if there are any drawbacks to mixing ESCs, like if they will calibrate slightly off from one another or something.

My Blade500X blew it’s 80A eFlite ProSwitch Governor ESC, so I tried replacing it with a much cheaper Hobbyking RedBrick 80Amp ESC and an ESC Programming card to tell the ESC to spool up slowly when starting. It does struggle to keep the rotor speed up in higher collectives and so I tend not to fly Idle Up now, but the point is, it flies. The lesson there is, if you’ve bought a giant helicopter where half the parts are machined alloy, you need to fork out on a beastier ESC if you want to fly it in the style that those parts are made of metal for. I can’t imagine the demands of flying a foam board jet will be fussy about special brand ESCs.

L Edge

Master member
In using 2 EDF's in a jet, the number one rule is make sure the equipment is the identical(same blades and housing, same motors, same ESC, same length wiring from battery to ESC). Reason- you need the same thrust on both sides of the plane. Ask me how I know?
Learned that while flying a Chengdu J-20.

Dawson

I’m not to experienced with EDFs, but as far as I know, if 80amps is what the EDF needs, any 80amps will do. I would choose to have two ESCs of the same brand, but that’s cause I don’t know if there are any drawbacks to mixing ESCs, like if they will calibrate slightly off from one another or something.

My Blade500X blew it’s 80A eFlite ProSwitch Governor ESC, so I tried replacing it with a much cheaper Hobbyking RedBrick 80Amp ESC and an ESC Programming card to tell the ESC to spool up slowly when starting. It does struggle to keep the rotor speed up in higher collectives and so I tend not to fly Idle Up now, but the point is, it flies. The lesson there is, if you’ve bought a giant helicopter where half the parts are machined alloy, you need to fork out on a beastier ESC if you want to fly it in the style that those parts are made of metal for. I can’t imagine the demands of flying a foam board jet will be fussy about special brand ESCs.
Ok, do you know if a 6s 6000 mAh battery could handle both EDFs?

Dawson

In using 2 EDF's in a jet, the number one rule is make sure the equipment is the identical(same blades and housing, same motors, same ESC, same length wiring from battery to ESC). Reason- you need the same thrust on both sides of the plane. Ask me how I know?
Learned that while flying a Chengdu J-20.
Ok, do you know if a 6s 6000 mAh battery could handle two EDFs?

L Edge

Master member
Ok, do you know if a 6s 6000 mAh battery could handle two EDFs?

Not sure, I would check with the source of your EDF's on how much max amps each one draws and insure your battery wires can handle the full amperage load. Search for others who have built this model and what they used.

quorneng

Master member
It will all come down to the c rating of the 6000mah 6s LiPo.
If it is really rated at 30c then it would be able to supply 180A so adequate for 2x80.
But also remember at even 160A constant the flight time would be just 1.6 minutes and the battery wrecked by the end.
The use of the throttle will be vital.