Solved How do you set up lights on flite test ESCs

Dawson

I have the flite test 80 amp Esc and it has that little connecter that I heard was used for LED lights and I just wanted to know how that works and what lights would work on it. I’m planning on putting it on a 7.5 foot Rc plane I built and wanted to make sure the lights could have extensions to reach the wings. Thanks

Mr.Grinch

I have the flite test 80 amp Esc and it has that little connecter that I heard was used for LED lights and I just wanted to know how that works and what lights would work on it. I’m planning on putting it on a 7.5 foot Rc plane I built and wanted to make sure the lights could have extensions to reach the wings. Thanks
Just have to wire up some 12v (if using 3s) leds with the proper connector. They will remain on once the battery is connected, no on/off control.

Last edited:

jack10525

I have had a few store bought planes that had leds in the wings. The connector for the led plugs into the receiver for power. I don't see an issue with extensions as long as the connection is tight.

dylanbeaudette

I really like these LED light strips which plug right into a spare channel on the receiver, unfortunately you can't toggle on/off with the transmitter:

These single navigation lights connect to a spare channel on the RX and can (!!) be toggled remotely by the TX:

We usually connect two of the nav light assembles via Y-harness and plug into a single RX channel.

I'm still searching for the "perfect" combination of lightweight wire and tiny LED module for use on our smaller aircraft. This item might be just about right:

dylanbeaudette

12ABDB64-4B20-4503-B199-4B60E93AA841.jpeg

Here is an LED strip (see the up thread for product link) mounted under the wing on an FT Tutor.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
... it has that little connecter that I heard was used for LED lights...
That little connector puts out flight battery voltage. Check to see if your LED's will be happy at battery voltage. If they are, it will work.

Bricks

Master member
I really like these LED light strips which plug right into a spare channel on the receiver, unfortunately you can't toggle on/off with the transmitter:

These single navigation lights connect to a spare channel on the RX and can (!!) be toggled remotely by the TX:

We usually connect two of the nav light assembles via Y-harness and plug into a single RX channel.

I'm still searching for the "perfect" combination of lightweight wire and tiny LED module for use on our smaller aircraft. This item might be just about right:

For LED lights I use motor winding wire it`s coated and very light. Here is an example it can be found cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/motor-winding-wire/s?k=motor+winding+wire

bearit

if you get the leds with a usb connecter on it, it will plug into your receiver extra channel

Bricks

Master member
if you get the leds with a usb connecter on it, it will plug into your receiver extra channel

That may all good but for me the problem is adding enough lights adds considerable weight as i use 12 volt LED string lights CHEAP and then use the balance plug off of the battery for power, this way no extra power drain running thru the receiver..

dylanbeaudette

Quick follow up the LED light bars and mini strips from Aloft Hobby. Mounted on an FT Arrow and FT Miniscout.

B4E94F9C-AA89-47E7-8805-E893A29D83E7.jpeg

9DB6F2F1-4A68-4A39-BBE6-D05877B76CF6.jpeg

These little LED strips can get warm, possibly enough to unseat a small dab of hot glue. Still working on finding the right adhesive.

Even with the extra weight, this plane still flies like a bat out of hell with an 850mAh 3S battery.