Can I use Linear BEC for this applicaton?

Boiii

Hello, I ordered 40a 5V/3A brushless ESC, but only after some time i noticed that the one I have ordered has linear BEC. Will it be able to handle 4 digital servos?

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
What size airplane?

How big are the servos?

In general, I’d say you’re fine, but answering those questions will help clarify the advice.

quorneng

Master member
Boiii
Digital servos do tend to take more 'surge' amps than analogue so it really does come down to the servo size and the nature & mechanical efficiency of the linkage. A heavy long rod linkage alone can result in a significant amp draw as the servo accelerates to a new position.

How many battery cells are there? The rated amps for the linear BEC will be likely for a 3s LiPo. If you are using 4s the max amp capability is reduced due to the heat generated. More than 4s will be a no/no.

Are you sure it has a linear BEC? The majority of ESCs in the 40A class now have a switched BEC.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Hello, I ordered 40a 5V/3A brushless ESC, but only after some time i noticed that the one I have ordered has linear BEC. Will it be able to handle 4 digital servos?

linear or switching isn't the question, it is the current rating of if (and maybe the amount of step down it can handle like quoreng said)... which looks like 3A.

could it handle 4 5g digital servos - sure, could it handle 4 100g digital servos - unlikely. How big of servos are you talking?

Boiii

linear or switching isn't the question, it is the current rating of if (and maybe the amount of step down it can handle like quoreng said)... which looks like 3A.

could it handle 4 5g digital servos - sure, could it handle 4 100g digital servos - unlikely. How big of servos are you talking?
1642053182569.png

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient

That doesn't indicate how much current it pulls at stall (which is what you would want to know). This question seems to be about a similarly torqued servo: <https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/256980/how-to-find-stall-current-of-servo-motor> and the stall currents came up with there were around 0.73A. take that x4 and you get just under 3A. So unless you expect your servos to be install frequently, your probably ok with that BEC and those servos. However, it would be better if you could get actual stall currents for your exact servos and do the math.