Carbon-Z® T-28 PNP with Taranis or BNF with Orange transmitter module?

RCLB

Hi, I was wondering what was the best choice between flying a carbón T-28 pnp with Taranis or a BNF with Taranis + Orange Transmitter module, taking advantage os the AS3X technology. I´m new to the hobby, five months flying and scratch building, my experience is with FT Mini Speedster, FT Tiny Trainer, FT Mustang (Currently flying and enyoing very much!) and a FT Mini Cruiser. I´m enyoing the Taranis very much, but fairly new at it also. I´ll apreciate any input or experiance, thank you !!!

RCLB

Thank you makattack! I was also leaning towards using FrSky receivers to not depend so much in other hardware. I´ll research the links you sent me, thanks !

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
AS3X is less important on the big planes and it looks like you are used to going without it. I wouldn't let that be a major factor.

ZoomNBoom

Thats a large airplane. Really large. Hope you have a big car :)

Now generally large airplanes are no more difficult to fly than small ones (if anything, its usually the opposite), but this is still quite a step up from FT planes. Two things I would worry about more than the flight controller, which you dont really need in a plane like that:
- Quality of e-flite products. A friend of mine had a regular carbon-Z and it has been a disaster. It flew nice the first few days, then paint started flaking, later a few motor magnets came loose mid flight and it ended a few weeks later when the ESC caught fire. Stuff happens, but I wouldnt want it happening on a 2m warbird.
- I also worry about the landing gear, it looks a bit flimsy and has no dampening. You better have a nice smooth landing field and nail those landings, this is a 6Kg plane.

If I where you, Id consider an intermediate step, something like a 1400mm FMS warbird. Cheaper, good quality, and to me at least: big enough to get that scale feel.

RCLB

I fly all my BNF planes with the ORX module on my Taranis.

Thanks Andre! I also viewed your video no the Sukhoi, did you get it to work properly with the Taranis? I hope to own a Sukhoi in the future. Great videos!

RCLB

Thats a large airplane. Really large. Hope you have a big car :)

Now generally large airplanes are no more difficult to fly than small ones (if anything, its usually the opposite), but this is still quite a step up from FT planes. Two things I would worry about more than the flight controller, which you dont really need in a plane like that:
- Quality of e-flite products. A friend of mine had a regular carbon-Z and it has been a disaster. It flew nice the first few days, then paint started flaking, later a few motor magnets came loose mid flight and it ended a few weeks later when the ESC caught fire. Stuff happens, but I wouldnt want it happening on a 2m warbird.
- I also worry about the landing gear, it looks a bit flimsy and has no dampening. You better have a nice smooth landing field and nail those landings, this is a 6Kg plane.

If I where you, Id consider an intermediate step, something like a 1400mm FMS warbird. Cheaper, good quality, and to me at least: big enough to get that scale feel.

Thanks SimmNBoom, very good points to consider before buyin a plane like that, maybe I'll stick a bit more with the FT's before buying a plane, practicing and learning by scratch building a bit more!

RCLB

Thanks SimmNBoom, very good points to consider before buyin a plane like that, maybe I'll stick a bit more with the FT's before buying a plane, practicing and learning by scratch building a bit more!

I meant ZoomNBoom, sorry.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Thanks Andre! I also viewed your video no the Sukhoi, did you get it to work properly with the Taranis? I hope to own a Sukhoi in the future. Great videos!

Yes I did. No real issues. Just need to remember the channel order.

Thanks.

ZoomNBoom

I dont want to hold you back from progressing or buying your dream; I cant judge your flying skills. you've flown many models, i assume you didnt crash them all, maybe you're ready, I cant tell.
Iits just that it may be a huge leap, literally. When I bought my first 1400mm I was shocked how big it was, compared to the mostly 1100's I had flown. As a result, and because I really really didnt want to crash such a beauty, I didnt fly it for almost a year (I bought it in a sale). Not until I nailed pretty much every landing on concrete with my smaller warbirds and was completely confident. On hindsight, there was no need, the 1400mm zero is among the easiest planes I have, but still..

Get something inbetween, maybe even an 1100mm warbird with flaps, retracts,.. Make it a tail dragger and you'll be sure to learn some more. The P51 is an excellent plane:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...tang_w_Flaps_Retracts_Lights_1100mm_PNF_.html
Andre willl soon testify to that ;)

If you crash that, rather than your monster scale, imagine the money you saved ;).

RCLB

Not at all! I´m very thankful for your pointers, it is a HUGE plane, ha ,ha ,ha !!! Plus, the field we fly in is really a Polo field, sometimes the grass is high, and sometimes there are hoof mark all over it, making it hard for the planes with retracts to land. I fríend is offering me a used E Flite Carbon Z Yak 54, not as big, and with the proper low rates I can progressively go from there, but we'll see, I still haven´t finish my FT Racer and I have an FT Explorer on the way. ZnB, makattack and André, thank you for your input and I hope we still see eacho other on the forums, have a great Flight!