Cessna Skymaster

Cessna Skymaster 2021-10-06

Please log in to download

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Mr NCT submitted a new resource:

Cessna Skymaster - Update to Timmy P's Skymaster

Cessna's classic push pull twin engine design. Axial thrust with counter rotating props eliminates P factor yaw and gives a sweet flying plane. These are Timmy P's plans with my mods: landing gear, rear motor cover, front battery hatch and simplified boom construction.

5 sheets FB
1 sheet poster board
Power pack C twin
2200 3s battery
will need either an aluminum or plywood spar

Built thread: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/building-timmy-ps-skymaster.67908/...

Read more about this resource...

speedy7385

Flew great, under power with c packs. Upgrading to Sunnysky x2220 v3 980kv. Will test again. Thanks for the plan.
20211014_174359.jpg

speedy7385

The plan was good. Thanks. I use plywood to make the wing spar. Did added flaps, using single rudder. Made a hatch on the bottom to run 4s 4000mah.

speedy7385

Mother nature didn't play nice with foam boards. Need to make some repairs, might make the horizontal stabilizer with fold over and add some carbon fiber strip to keep it from wrapping.
20211024_112628.jpg

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Good idea on the fold over for the horizontal stab and the flaps. I'm finding that even with both rudders hooked up they don't have much authority. I see the pins above the main gear. Are they for removable gear or hatch?

speedy7385

Good idea on the fold over for the horizontal stab and the flaps. I'm finding that even with both rudders hooked up they don't have much authority. I see the pins above the main gear. Are they for removable gear or hatch?

Yes, I 3d printed the main gear mount like the FT Legacy. Held in place with BBQ skewers.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Just found this article about how Cessna Skymaster type retract works. I might have to give it a try someday. If anyone try it, please post some pictures.

https://www.modelaviation.com/cessna-type-retracts
That would be really neat! We had a nice steady east wind at about 7mph today. I got a couple of good flights in on the Skymaster. It always makes me grin. Currently working on a 150% DR1 with real airfoils instead of the FT undercambered wing.

boogieloo

This is a kit? Skymaster model airplane kit. I can see it was cut from the computer autocad. Really nice looking cuts there. And what size battery did you order for this model airplane? 3-5 ibs. Just about. I counted 7 channels for this Skymaster. Wow...You really did a good job at hiding the wiring. There's a Y cable inside your airplane. Running from the two ESC ( electronic speed control ) engines. But this gets tricky at startup. Well actually I think you use a second receiver for the Skymaster. I think the 10 channel has a reverse on the throttle. This transmitter works for this model.

Mines hasn't started yet. One of two things must be wrong. Servos not responding because receiver not get the correct frequency yet. First shut down. Two, discharge has not happened because the transmitter not opening it up yet. I don't know. Only 7.4 volts to it, so should do it already. Just the beeps comes on. At the correct frequency the lights from the receiver should light up after the beeps. The lights are LED. Light emitting diode. On the receiver. Well if all things go well, the presets are automatically calibrated on the transmitter to zero. So this should do it.

Congratulations. You've spent lots of money for your model airplane. And it works.

Last edited:

boogieloo

Mother nature didn't play nice with foam boards. Need to make some repairs, might make the horizontal stabilizer with fold over and add some carbon fiber strip to keep it from wrapping. View attachment 210424
May I ask you a personal question? Are you a engineer? I take it that you have an education. Which means you don't go by rules of the game of building a airplane. They don't come like this kit. If they do, then it's specially made Skymaster. Is this for a school project or just for fun? I'm just starting out. I started the ESC engines in June of 2021. New to model airplane flying.

speedy7385

May I ask you a personal question? Are you a engineer? I take it that you have an education. Which means you don't go by rules of the game of building a airplane. They don't come like this kit. If they do, then it's specially made Skymaster. Is this for a school project or just for fun? I'm just starting out. I started the ESC engines in June of 2021. New to model airplane flying.
No, not an engineer. just built a lot of the Flite Test planes and crash them, bad skill in flying. I am retired diesel mechanic, my new job is babysitting my 7 month old grandson. And building more planes when I am free, enjoy building planes more than flying/crashing. haha.

quorneng

Master member
I can confirm that the Skymaster layout does fly well and benefits from tandem counter rotating props. Until you have done it you don't realise how nice it is to be able to whack on full power even at the stall and the plane simply speeds up!
I took the easy option and flew it hand launch belly land. Its well rounded fuselage does it very nicely on grass.
Just to give additional prop protection I arranged a mix so that I could cut the front motor in flight. As my SkyMaster is very light, made of 3mm foam board not paper covered) it flies perfectly well on one anyway.
52" span. Built as the O-2 'Special Ops' version which actually used 2 blade variable pitch props with no spinners.;)
21Apr18.JPG

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Very nice build! It's such a sweet flying plane I'm surprised we don't see more being built. Do you think the twin booms puts people off? I love that when you push the throttle it just accelerates with no drama at all.

quorneng

Master member
This video of my SkyMaster gives some flavour of what can best be described as "docile power".
The only time full power was applied was in the near vertical climb at 2:04 and then for only 5 seconds!;)