Challenge Suggestion - Dam Busters

Datum

MOVED (Challenge Suggestion - Dam Busters)

Sorry for putting this in the wrong place, I've made a new thread in the Challenge Suggestion subforum.

Hi Everyone!

I ended up getting into RC Aircraft due to a love of aviation, the ever present possibility of ordnance drops, and because Flite Test is amazing. I hope I do not understate my thanks for the crew making this hobby so approachable, and for how enjoyable it is to watch their antics!

There was an incredible raid, Operation Chastise, put on by the British back in the Second World War to destroy German dams using clever skipping bombs and heavily modified Avro Lancasters, and I believe it would make an excellent challenge for the folks at Flite Test.

Now, the actual bombs were cylindrical drums given backspin using onboard motors, allowing them to skip across the top of the water like a well-tossed stone, before reaching the dam. At the dam, they stopped and sank, the backspin ensuring it stays stuck to the dam's wall, until a depth fuse detonated the bomb deep below the surface, destroying the dam. The crazy plan destroyed two dams and damaged another!

Obviously, I feel there is great potential for a challenge here. It is a bit unreasonable to ask a full reenactment of this raid, but perhaps there is some merit to a Bomb Skipping Challenge? A Guinea Pig could be fitted with the skipping bombs, and then score it based on distance or number of skips?

Hope this at least serves as decent inspiration for something!

Last edited: