cheap airbrush paint at walmart

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
My first set of paints I got from hobby lobby in Sacramento were around $5 for 2oz. I happened to be walking thru Walmart today and noticed this huge section of .50 cent 2oz acrylic paint that is water soluble. The brand is called apple barrel. You can find a bunch of threads around and on rc groups.I got every color I ever wanted aND some ammonia free windex for less than $20. So just FYI

Billchuck

My first set of paints I got from hobby lobby in Sacramento were around $5 for 2oz. I happened to be walking thru Walmart today and noticed this huge section of .50 cent 2oz acrylic paint that is water soluble. The brand is called apple barrel. You can find a bunch of threads around and on rc groups.I got every color I ever wanted aND some ammonia free windex for less than $20. So just FYI

Hobby Lobby and Michaels both carry those 2oz bottles of paint in a much wider variety of colors than Wal-Mart has. However, they are not nearly as good quality as specialty airbrush paints. You will have to thin them down a lot (go for the consistency of milk) and you won't get as good coverage because they don't have as much pigment in them.

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Oh I totally agree. But this is heck cheap for me just starting out so I can paint a ton of planes and practice for very cheap.

Skeetpf

I've been using Apple Barrel paint in my air brush over EPP and DTF(sealed). I dilute it about 50/50 with Windex. It's been working fine for me. I've used it for general painting of my planes. I don't have the skills to do detail work so I can't comment on that.

Spitfiremk16

I have also used apple barrel paints from walmart and acrylic craft paint from micheals through an airbrush to paint planes made out of dollar tree foam with good results. Always seal the plane with minwax first unless you want the paper to get ruined and peel off! You do have to thin the paint alot with windex. About 50/50 but it will also depend on the airbrush being used and the pressure you are running it at. It also dries very fast after you spray it down. Clean out your airbrush immediately after spraying it or it will get clogged and be more difficult to clean.

WBPappy

Walmart Paint

I have been using airbrushes for about 3-6 months now and had the same problem with this style of paint. What I found out is that I had the answer setting on a shelf in my living room. I have a Central Pneumatic airbrush and an Iwata Eclipse airbrush, both being dual action. I couldn't seem to get the paint to flow well with either brush, so I purchased a .5mm needle for the Iwata and still no joy. Then it dawned on me that the paint wasn't like Createx, and being 58 years old didn't have the time to figure it out. So I went to an old stand-by. I had a single action CP airbrush with 5 siphon feed bottles and decided to give that a try. To my amazement, it worked the first time without thinning the paint. The coat was very smooth and looked very good for what I was doing. I make fishing lures here in Kansas and my setup is now complete. I hope this helps the rest of the community with whatever problems you're having with the Walmart paints.

Sincerely,
WBPappy

Sharky350z

Here's the secret. Thin the paint (50/50 give or take) with the stuff in the link below, and you should get really good results. I tried a few different thinning agent, but this gave me the absolute best result. It can also be used as a clear coat. Here is an article about it:

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pledge-Floor-Care-27-fl-oz/15136693

I can't wait t try this out. I have been looking for something to work with those dirt cheap acryllics.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
I can't wait t try this out. I have been looking for something to work with those dirt cheap acryllics.

That's all I use now. It's the perfect thinner for those inexpensive acrylic craft paints. It auto-levels too, so the paint evens out in areas where you may have applied a little too much. Be sure to get that exact product (clear fluid in a clear bottle). Don't confuse it with the cleaner.

jamboree1

I use isopropyl Alcohol to thin craft store acrylic paints, seems 50/50 mix works, maybe a bit less, but it doesn't dilute the pigment as much as windex does and it dries really fast due to the alcohol evaporates quickly.

hoshanaeckhart

Walmart Paint

I have been using airbrushes for about 3-6 months now and had the same problem with this style of paint. What I found out is that I had the answer setting on a shelf in my living room. I have a Central Pneumatic airbrush and an Iwata Eclipse airbrush, both being dual action. I couldn't seem to get the paint to flow well with either brush, so I purchased a .5mm needle for the Iwata and still no joy. Then it dawned on me that the paint wasn't like Createx, and being 58 years old didn't have the time to figure it out. So I went to an old stand-by. I had a single action CP airbrush with 5 siphon feed bottles and decided to give that a try. To my amazement, it worked the first time without thinning the paint. The coat was very smooth and looked very good for what I was doing. I make fishing lures here in Kansas and my setup is now complete. I hope this helps the rest of the community with whatever problems you're having with the Walmart paints advantages of airbrush makeup.

Sincerely,
WBPappy
I am considering experimenting with some of the paint available at Wal-Mart due to their wide variety of colors. I know you have to thin it but how much do you dilute the paint to spray it? I use a Paasche VL with a #3 tip most of the time. Thanks,