What did you buy today - RC related (Christmas presents can be included).

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
As we approach that special time of year again, BLACK FRIDAY (and Christmas, can't forget that one). It got me thinking has anyone got plans to buy something special for themselves, or are loved ones planning to buy something for you ?
Knowing that my wife, would never in the memory of man ever conceive of buy me anything RC related. Whether it be for a Birthday, Christmas or just as token of affection.
I have therefore over the past few years resorted to buying my own RC gear and necessities.
Sadly this situation will be changing from 2022, as my wife will no longer be gainfully employed. She is starting her own business, which means until it gets off the ground I am going to be the sole wage earner.
Fortunately I have plenty of airworthy models to fly, I also have some models in boxes waiting to be built and others in a state of disrepair. I have also jumped the gun and bought foamboard, glue and paint so I could build more FT builds or complete repairs. I have also bought myself a spare transmitter just in case, God forbid I damage my main one.

So with Black Friday looming and the prospect of New Year approaching even faster. What could have I still have left on my to-buy list ?
Lipo's - You can never have enough of them !

Every time I build or buy another plane lately, it takes another different size of lipo, which I invariably don't have. More over some of my original Turnigy and Zippy Lipo's are starting to get puffy, which is not a good sign (Apologies again I am waffling on, instead of getting to the point).
My last big exciting purchase of RC gear for 2021 and the foreseeable future will be, some 3s 3000mAh HRB lipo's :confused: not very exciting but necessary.
This is why the post sprung to mind, is anyone out there getting something really exciting in the sale or Christmas. Or are there others like me, who are just stocking up on spares, receivers and batteries so they can continue to fly next year ?

bisco

Elite member
i grabbed another umx turbo timber from horizon at 30% off. can't have too many!

also an xk a160 at half off. constantly buying parts and supplies, so i don't consider them Christmas related.

mrs bisco would proly love to buy me something, but she hasn't a clue. no worries, you get to an age where you do your own Christmas shopping.:)

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
The only time my wife offered was for my 60th, she asked what I wanted ? I said " Volantex Trainstar Ascent", she asked what that was, followed by "Oh its another toy plane, just order one then".
So I ended up ordering my own 60th birthday present, from a joint account which I paid into. So I effectively paid for it myself too :LOL:.
I know what you mean, we have reached that point now where we ask each other what we want as a present. That way neither of us end up disappointed.
I like the UMX Timber but was always torn between that and the Tundra. I was hoping to get a Tundra next year but its not going to happen now. I will now have to make do with the models I have, or sell some to make space and raise funds :cry:

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
The only other models I would have considered, was a P38 Lightening or an A10 Warthog.
They will have to go on the long term wish list now.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Its interesting that as a child Christmas was some of the happiest and best times in my life. Now I cant wait for it to be over :( all the fuss just for one day a year.
When you have ended up working the majority of Christmases over the last 10 years like me. You eventually just end up treating it as just another day. Although I have missed spending Christmas time with my family, sitting down to enjoying a meal together.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
Its interesting that as a child Christmas was some of the happiest and best times in my life. Now I cant wait for it to be over :( all the fuss just for one day a year.
When you have ended up working the majority of Christmases over the last 10 years like me. You eventually just end up treating it as just another day. Although I have missed spending Christmas time with my family, sitting down to enjoying a meal together.
Why don’t you try to sit down and enjoy a meal together?

A few weeks ago I bought a FT Charlie to put under the tree that I would use to get my RC chops back. My plan was to eventually get a Tutor and deck it out with an autopilot and sensors. Yesterday I said "forget it, I want to fly" so I ordered the Tutor to put under the tree and now I can start building the Charlie. I think I'm that kid that goes into the closet and opens all the presents before Christmas.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I have a dynam hawker hunter coming in the mail.
5CC0D98D-CC34-44C7-9536-A07838DBF8E6.jpeg

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I work shifts and usually it involves Christmas day and or Boxing day. Fortunately this year I am only due back in on Christmas night. So I can at least enjoy a meal at lunch time with my immediate family, but cant celebrate with a drink. I am unable to visit and see the rest of the family as there is not enough time, I am back in work that night.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Most years I have ended up working: Christmas eve night, Christmas night and Boxing night. Not much fun as I spend most of the day in bed sleeping and only a few hours with the family.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I have settled on: (x3) 4S 1300mAh, (x1) 3S 2200mAh and (x1) 3S 3000mAh that should complete my requirements for Lipo's for some considerable time.
I like the HRB Lipo's they are good quality batteries with great C ratings. They also appear a lot more durable robust, than the cheap batteries I use to buy from Hobby King.
Zippy Lipo batteries are particularly :poop:, the standard Turnigy are not much better.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
When it comes to buying stuff I love a bargain, I will walk an extra mile if it means I could save £1 on a purchase. Don't get me wrong I am no Scrooge, I just hate over paying for things.
As I posted previously, I am planning to buy a few Lipo's from Aliexpress, I have discovered that the HRB official site has the best price and offers free delivery too.
Last night I put (x3) 4S 1300mAh batteries in my basket, the price to buy at present is £16.71 each. However, If I wait until the Black Friday sale starts I can get them for £14.57 instead, great love a bargain :)(y).
But here is a better scenario, the HRB official site is also selling a pair of 4s 1300s for £25.85 in the sale :unsure:. So instead of buying the x3 single ones, if I buy the pair and x1 single it will only cost £40.42 instead of £43.71 (that's an extra saving of $4.38).
Happy days :giggle: £££££, obviously these prices don't include tax :(, but still its a decent saving.
There's possibility an extra discount, as I am buying other batteries too :eek::)