Colored Packing tape

Sly Fox

I watched a video wher the person made a foam plane (using XPS). He covered the entire plane with colored packing tape. It looked nice.
I have a couple questions:

1. how much weight does it add? More, less, or about same as painting?
2. Does it do a better job of sealing/water protection vs painting?
3. I noticed that after applying, he went over with an iron. Does this help it to adhere better? What temp do you et the iron for?
4. Would it be different using the maker foam (or adams ready board) vs the XPS foam?

Timmy

Legendary member
I'm interested in this as well. For now, I'm painting my planes but I would also like to know how packing tape compares.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
the tape gives a skin to the XPS foam and makes a much smoother surface then painting the XPS foam. It will also give extra strength over just painting. I suspect the ironing was to increase the adhesion correct, there should be some video tutoral out there explaining the ideal temperature(s).

Sly Fox

the tape gives a skin to the XPS foam and makes a much smoother surface then painting the XPS foam. It will also give extra strength over just painting. I suspect the ironing was to increase the adhesion correct, there should be some video tutoral out there explaining the ideal temperature(s).

But for the Adams Ready Board or the FT make foam, would it help putting it over the paper or better to remove paper and then apply? The XPS does not have a laminated paper correct? Would it just come off with the paper (if it delaminated)?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I don't paint, I cover all of my FT planes entirely with colored packing tape. I get my tape from Hobby King and Tape Planet, both come in a good choice of colors and work equally well.

1. how much weight does it add? More, less, or about same as painting?
These tape add very little to no extra weight. They do add considerable strength.

2. Does it do a better job of sealing/water protection vs painting?
These tapes do a good job of keeping the water out. No need to worry about a dew or wet grass. I'm not sure they would hold up flying off the water.

3. I noticed that after applying, he went over with an iron. Does this help it to adhere better? What temp do you et the iron for?
I use an iron to smooth out a wrinkle, maybe to seal an edge. The tape will shrink slightly with heat. I don't iron the whole plane, just not necessary.

My main use of the iron is with my hinge. I put a bead of glue in the hinge, then spread the glue with the hot iron. I'll apply the tape over the hinge, then hit again with the iron to reactivate the glue, sealing the tape. I've never had one of these hinges fail.

My iron is hot enough to melt hot glue but not so hot to melt the foam. I'm thinking somewhere 200-250 F

4. Would it be different using the maker foam (or adams ready board) vs the XPS foam?
I use Adams & Ross foam boards, with the paper on, both work equally well. I'm not sure how heat will effect the other foams.

Here is the system I use

Last edited:

Timmy

Legendary member
I don't paint, I cover all of my FT planes entirely with colored packing tape. I get my tape from Hobby King and Tape Planet, both come in a good choice of colors and work equally well.

These tape add very little to no extra weight. They do add considerable strength.

These tapes do a good job of keeping the water out. No need to worry about a dew or wet grass. I'm not sure they would hold up flying off the water.

I use an iron to smooth out a wrinkle, maybe to seal an edge. The tape will shrink slightly with heat. I don't iron the whole plane, just not necessary.

My main use of the iron is with my hinge. I put a bead of glue in the hinge, then spread the glue with the hot iron. I'll apply the tape over the hinge, then hit again with the iron to reactivate the glue, sealing the tape. I've never had one of these hinges fail.

My iron is hot enough to melt hot glue but not so hot to melt the foam. I'm thinking somewhere 200-250 F

I use Adams & Ross foam boards, with the paper on, both work equally well. I'm not sure how heat will effect the other foams.

Here is the system I use
wow thanks!

JasonK

But for the Adams Ready Board or the FT make foam, would it help putting it over the paper or better to remove paper and then apply? The XPS does not have a laminated paper correct? Would it just come off with the paper (if it delaminated)?
if the paper delamiated, yes the tape would come with as the tape is attached to the paper in that case instead of the foam. Your correct that XPS foam isn't normally paper covered.

regarding weight and strength -> I removed some paper off of some Ross foam board and lamiated it with tape. it came out to the same weight (to the accuracy of my scale. I didn't test a huge piece, so further testing would be needed to get exact results). hand held testing - the tape was stronger, however the paper broke in a way that was more repairable.

Sly Fox

if the paper delamiated, yes the tape would come with as the tape is attached to the paper in that case instead of the foam. Your correct that XPS foam isn't normally paper covered.

regarding weight and strength -> I removed some paper off of some Ross foam board and lamiated it with tape. it came out to the same weight (to the accuracy of my scale. I didn't test a huge piece, so further testing would be needed to get exact results). hand held testing - the tape was stronger, however the paper broke in a way that was more repairable.

Thanks.

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

My first planes I built I used packing tape to cover the Dollar Store Adams white foam board. I have a question. What is XPS foam ?

Thanks for any help,
Al

JasonK

Hi Everyone,

My first planes I built I used packing tape to cover the Dollar Store Adams white foam board. I have a question. What is XPS foam ?

Thanks for any help,
Al

https://www.google.com/search?q=What+is+XPS+foam

it is a different type of foam, typically sold in thicker sheets. for RC aircraft, hot wiring is often used with this foam type to construct curved surfaces/etc, then covered with various surfacing techniques (fiberglass skin or packing tape for example).

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
What is XPS foam ?
It's the blue or pink foam sheet insulation for a house. It comes in a 4x8' sheet, it can be 1/2 inch to 2 inches thick. In the northern states, all of the big box stores carry it. In the south it can be hard to find. There is also flat fan foam, its the same stuff, just thinner, about 1/4 inch. It comes in a pack, 25 2x4' sheets folded together. They use FFF as a house wrap, under the siding.

Last edited:

alan0043

It's the blue or pink foam sheet insulation for a house. It comes in a 4x8' sheet, it can be 1/2 inch to 2 inches thick. In the northern states, all of the big box stores carry it. In the south it can be hard to find. There is also flat fan foam, its the same stuff, just thinner, about 1/4 inch. It comes in a pack, 25 2x4' sheets folded together. They use FFF as a house wrap, under the siding.

Thank you. I know what you are talking about.