Difference in radios?

I'm shopping around for a new radio and was wondering what you get for upgrading in the spektrum line past the 6i? I.E. Besides the extra channels what do you get going from a 6i to the new 6, 7, 8 etc.

I haven't been able to get a straight answer besides that some of them have more or less programmable mixes and greater freedom in those.

I do plan on eventually getting into stuff like differential thrust and v-tail mixing if that makes any difference.

Team_Monkey

Capn, that is a HUGE open question. You're best bet is to visit the Spektrum air radio page and do the reading yourself.

The DX7s can do about anything a sport pilot could need. However, if I were going Spektrum, I'd get the DX9. It has alot of new functions that the DX7 and 8 do not and yet isn't as pricey as the DX18.

Good luck!

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
I do want to ask, what is it about Spectrum do you like?

Last edited:
Really more a preference due to circumstances. My first radio is a dx 5e that I bought off of my room mate for cheap and I already have a reciever set up for that. Was thinking about an orange system but I've been hearing too many hit or miss stories about them.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
All of them can use flaps V-tail, delta and so on.

The newer versions use a memory card.
This is not to extend the built in model memories, but to store, share and download from the net.

Telemetry comes with the new version but only DX9 has a voice telling tha values.
That will make the telemetry useful as you can fly and look at your plane as you get useful information.

You need at last the DX8 to be able to fly a 4 wingservo glider with all functions.

I had read that the dx6i and possibly a few others had issues with differential thrust mixing due to an issue in the firmware.

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
The DX5e is a great starter radio, I own one too... but from there spectrum prices just sky rocket. They are an American Company, God bless them, but they are expensive. There are better Radio as far as a "better bang for your buck" out there. If you are looking at spending around $200 plus for a good radio that does do expos and mixes then there is a ton of options for you.

Dx6 is okay
Turnigy 9X good but will not work with Spectrum receivers

Personally I went with:
FrSky Taranis 9XR with X8R Receiver and OrangeRX Open LRS 433MHz Transmitter 1W ( JR Compatible)

Really you need to do your own research and find what will work for you. Just take your time. There are tons of Radio Treads in this forum.

happy hunting and welcome to the family!