Dihesral ob a Versa Wing?

Sorry I meant Dihedral. Fat fingers in my phone
Has anyone done this and at what angle? Will it give the wing more stability and would it have other negative effects on the flight envelope of the wing?

What is your ideas and input. I am only curious about this as planes with dihedral seems more stable.

Last edited:

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Andre,

Dihedral on a versa is what you get after it has been run hard, for awhile, on a speed set up. hehehe.

Intentionally adding dihedral could potentially change the drag line and required thrust angle. I'm not sure that any stability would be gained.

Larger winglets could do the trick. More drag on the tips, larger volume of air contained at the tips.

The best stability I have achieved on a versa was with keeping everything at the center. I built one from elmers board and it was heavy. I put the receiver at one wing tip and the video transmitter at the other, it was hard to achieve roll stability. Another FPV Versa had the RX and VTX mid way on each wing. That plane was DTF and had much more stability. One was built for LOS with an EF-1 motor on a power pod in tractor configuration. Everything was in the pod, centered and hung below the wing. that was a very stable bird. My last Versa was made from DTF and used some pretty low rates on the control surfaces. It was a very stable plane that stayed where you put it, tracked like an arrow.

Not sure any of that info will help. I would like to be kept informed of what you try and how it works.

psychedvike

The swept wing of the versa wing gives stablity. You might notice how most designs of planes that have dihedral have very straight or at least only a small amount of sweep in the wing. By doing both a highly swept wing and dihedral you can accually end up with an overly stable design. In that case the plane has a very slow roll rate. Also the versa wing uses elevons. Dihedral might have adverse effects on control performance. If you do decide to try it my guess is it would make a stable plane good for a trainer possibly. It's hard to say how much it would change how it flies it in the real world. If you do build it that way post your results. If you don't like how it flies you can always cut it in half take out the dihedral and glue it back together.

I was interested in building my Versa with dihedral just to find out what it does but I think you all have made valuable points where in a nutshell the sweep of the wing give stability. Maybe its not such a great Idea after all.

After allot of research on rc forums I will quote the next

"So can we use dihedral to help yaw stability? In a conventional tailed design, dihedral is typically used to provide ROLL stability. This is NOT the same as yaw stability. Although adding dihedral aft of the C/G can increase yaw stability, adding equal amounts of it to the entire wing will generally have NO effect on yaw stability. Your addition of dihedral to the entire wing does NOT help satisfy the yaw stability requirements.

Making matters even worse is the effect of dihedral plus sweep. Sweep in a wing has a similar effect as dihedral. The effect varies with angle of attack; at low angles, with near zero lift coefficients, the effect is negligible, but at high angles (such as during thermalling), the effect can be quite strong. The general rule of thumb is that in low speed flight, three degrees of sweep is roughly equivalent to one degree of dihedral.
"

I think I will stick once again to the trusted desing of a much loved Versa Wing. Now just need to stick some FPV gear on it and give it a go

Andre,

Dihedral on a versa is what you get after it has been run hard, for awhile, on a speed set up. hehehe.

Intentionally adding dihedral could potentially change the drag line and required thrust angle. I'm not sure that any stability would be gained.

Larger winglets could do the trick. More drag on the tips, larger volume of air contained at the tips.

The best stability I have achieved on a versa was with keeping everything at the center. I built one from elmers board and it was heavy. I put the receiver at one wing tip and the video transmitter at the other, it was hard to achieve roll stability. Another FPV Versa had the RX and VTX mid way on each wing. That plane was DTF and had much more stability. One was built for LOS with an EF-1 motor on a power pod in tractor configuration. Everything was in the pod, centered and hung below the wing. that was a very stable bird. My last Versa was made from DTF and used some pretty low rates on the control surfaces. It was a very stable plane that stayed where you put it, tracked like an arrow.

Not sure any of that info will help. I would like to be kept informed of what you try and how it works.

I must say I agree on the idea of everything in the centre. My second Versa I built was somewhat curved in the middle so the wings never met. I decided to give it a fuselage of some sort in the middle that could house all electronics and have a nose area extending the point of the wings. This also helped in balancing the Versa and I must admit that I have never flown a Versa that handled like that one. Unfortunately she rests in piece or should I say pieces now