Does Anyone Else Like Boost Gliders?

Agathon

My main interest in flying models is rocketry. I had lots of fun with that when I was young. Unfortunately, I lived in Kansas at the time so my friends and I would wait months for a calm day. Sometimes we would get impatient and launch on a 'normal' day when the wind was blowing 15-20 MPH. So long, rockets! I always figured a boost glider would be even more likely to wind up in Colorado. In the mid 1990's, when my nephew was the right age, I became a 'Born Again' Rocketeer and we had fun building and flying. The in-laws gave the boy all the stuff to build a trainer type RC plane. I refused to build it, held his hand while he worked on it, but unfortunately he got discouraged before it was complete. The inlaws lived several states away and I don't know who they thought was going to teach him to fly it when it was done. Oh well. The airframe was totalled during a move and my sister off-loaded the electrics and gas motor on me, I still have them somewhere. Anyway, I discovered boost gliders and we built several and a parasitic glider as well. Now I have great nephews and nieces. It'll be a while before they're ready, but most of the activities I've done for fun in the past are too much for a guy in his mid-sixties. So my main interest is to convert some existing RC designs for boost gliding. Maybe I'll make a RC boost glider using my nephew's electrics.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
My main interest in flying models is rocketry. I had lots of fun with that when I was young. Unfortunately, I lived in Kansas at the time so my friends and I would wait months for a calm day. Sometimes we would get impatient and launch on a 'normal' day when the wind was blowing 15-20 MPH. So long, rockets! I always figured a boost glider would be even more likely to wind up in Colorado. In the mid 1990's, when my nephew was the right age, I became a 'Born Again' Rocketeer and we had fun building and flying. The in-laws gave the boy all the stuff to build a trainer type RC plane. I refused to build it, held his hand while he worked on it, but unfortunately he got discouraged before it was complete. The inlaws lived several states away and I don't know who they thought was going to teach him to fly it when it was done. Oh well. The airframe was totalled during a move and my sister off-loaded the electrics and gas motor on me, I still have them somewhere. Anyway, I discovered boost gliders and we built several and a parasitic glider as well. Now I have great nephews and nieces. It'll be a while before they're ready, but most of the activities I've done for fun in the past are too much for a guy in his mid-sixties. So my main interest is to convert some existing RC designs for boost gliding. Maybe I'll make a RC boost glider using my nephew's electrics.

Everyone has been converting those Walmart foam gliders into flyable RC models with minimal effort for a while now. Lok at @CarolineTyler posts of her builds and you should have nearly all you need to know. I Don't see why you could not do the same thing with rockets to power them.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Everyone has been converting those Walmart foam gliders into flyable RC models with minimal effort for a while now. Lok at @CarolineTyler posts of her builds and you should have nearly all you need to know. I Don't see why you could not do the same thing with rockets to power them.
JATO/RATO on a wally world glider would be pretty cool!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
JATO/RATO on a wally world glider would be pretty cool!

Heh.. ANYTHING JATO or RATO is cool. I remember seeing a C130 do a short runway JATO take off at an air show back home at the old NAFAC airbase in Jersey. that bad boy had 5 per side rockets to get that big girl in the air. What a noise. That compression I felt is probably what got me into race cars as I could semi reproduce that rumble with race motors.