Does anyone here fly Giant scale?

Tater76

So I have been watching youtube videos of giant Corsair rc planes powered by 250 Moki radials. All of the videos I have found seem to be from Germany? Are these planes not as popular here in the States because of weight restrictions? Does anyone here have one? I would love to see it! These things are truly amazing, and the sound of the radial engine is just intoxicating. If you have not seen these, you really should look them up on youtube.

mrwzrd59

Old Guy Geek
I fly the big carbon cub but I'm also going to build a Hangar 9 ASW20 4.7m sailplane. 15.5 foot wingspan! I bought the ASW20 but am still rounding up all the bits to make it "full house" with the retractable gear and the spoilers. My big Hitec HSB 9370TH servo's just showed up today! Busted the piggy bank on those Ti gear, brushless, digital beauties!$$$$!!!
One thing about going big is that you are fully committed when you have thousands of dollars hanging on a theory AND your radio gear absolutely must be up to the task! I can't emphasize that point enough! Before I bought the ASW20, I bought a DX9 black edition transmitter which should be the last TX I buy for a very long time to come! Going big???? Be prepared to spend big!

mrwzrd59

Old Guy Geek
I too think the sound of those big Moki's are awesome but....Have you priced them lately? 6 to 7 grand for and engine and you could turn it into a smoking hulk in seconds! I do more than OK for a living but I must have too much Dutch in me to drop that kind of dollars on my hobby. I have a Factory Five 33 roadster kit on the near horizon and the Ford 302 crate engine I picked out is only $5495.00 ready to bolt in and go! Now there's a reason to spend! On a Hot Rod!

mjcp

I thought my 4m DG-808 glider was pretty big but then I went to an aero-tow event... 4m seemed to be the starting point :black_eyed:

mjcp

I am about to! I have a Carbon Cub, and even though it's IMAAC legal, I don't consider it giant scale (largely because it's so light) . However, I just picked up a 27% Extra 260. At 78" span, 72" long, and 15+ lbs; to me it's giant scale.

haim

I am not from U.S. but this is my scratch built 40% Piper Pawnee PA-25:

2013-08-22_095359_IMG150[1].jpg

It will be covered with fabric and paint.

jamboree1

I too think the sound of those big Moki's are awesome but....Have you priced them lately? 6 to 7 grand for and engine and you could turn it into a smoking hulk in seconds! I do more than OK for a living but I must have too much Dutch in me to drop that kind of dollars on my hobby. I have a Factory Five 33 roadster kit on the near horizon and the Ford 302 crate engine I picked out is only $5495.00 ready to bolt in and go! Now there's a reason to spend! On a Hot Rod!

Carbed or injected? One thing I noticed on these is that FI never looks right, especially if the engine is always exposed.

ridepate

Used to. Had an Aeroworks Extra with a DA-150 and all the then-current goodies (2001). A patternship cut it in-half at about 200AGL. Nothing left. Even broke one of the cylinders off......Have never re-visited the big-stuff. Too much time and money to loose. I do love them tho!

Thorsclaw

If you have a weekend to waste check out rcscalebuilder.Comyou need to sign up but boy is it worth it! It's more art than anything else if you need a teaser check out merlyn greaves on youtube

I am hoping to be with this guy ^ not scale at all but giant to me haha. 90" gas/glow hybrid foamie, modeled as closely as I could to the FT Explorer. Still in the works ;)

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Flying giant scale is addictive. I've got a pair of 1/4 scale Cubs and am looking for my next big fix already! Maybe a big T-28?