Does Winter Suck for RC Planes?!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
For me, winter is building season. I will build 5-6 planes & have them sitting on the bench, WHEN I crash they are ready to go.

Sucks for my fingers! Reynard's syndrome is a bugger especially when cold!!!!

Yea, I can’t even imagine, cold weather flying certainly creates a lot of challenges! Fun to get out either way though.

For me, winter is building season. I will build 5-6 planes & have them sitting on the bench, WHEN I crash they are ready to go.

Hey Merv, that’s a great strategy. I have a couple planes I’m working on as well, but hard to pass up a calm beautiful day. Beyond the cold it’s actually quite peaceful in flying in the snow. Crunching noises, making tracks and landing virtually everywhere.

Though I did crash in the fjord last week which turned into a cold situation... haha. I’ll post a video about that soon.

Last edited:
I totally agree. When we get a nice day in the winter, I still fly.
But most of my time in the winter is spent building, giving me more time to fly in spring & summer.

Plus where I’m flying in the video is our front yard... it’s constantly tempting me to come out and play. I moved here a few years ago from the States. Big change, but not real hard to get used too. 😉

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Winter adds to the pain levels and kills a lot of the motivation I have left in my old age. I do however keep an eye on temps as if it is over 40f and not all wet n sloppy Im out for at least a few packs on my quads.

Winter adds to the pain levels and kills a lot of the motivation I have left in my old age. I do however keep an eye on temps as if it is over 40f and not all wet n sloppy Im out for at least a few packs on my quads.

Truth but there is something especially about flying out in the cold snow wonderland.

It’s better than wet and sloppy for sure, especially for quads. Last fall I had a soft crash in some sloppy muddy grass and fried a 4-1 ESC... I guess the conformal coating wasn’t good enough. Now I’ve switch to individual ESCs, nice to just replace one at a time.