"Drone" flys into Dallas commercial airport airspace? "Above" a passenger jet!!!

mrwzrd59

Old Guy Geek
"Drone" flys into Dallas commercial airport airspace? "Above" a passenger jet!!!

Who are these losers who do such stupid things? I hope that he gets ratted out by his friends so he can spend some quality time behind bars! Stupidity will ruin what little freedoms we have left!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I'm not supposed to do that? But I just got my Phantom! Where else am I supposed to fly it?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I'm not supposed to do that? But I just got my Phantom! Where else am I supposed to fly it?
This of course is a joke. What is not a joke is that people still manage to somehow convince themselves that this type of shenanigans is somehow ok. Definitely not how we want to see the hobby represented!

brettp2004

One of the proposed FAA regulations I was reading about was talking about requiring "drone" operators to obtain a pilot's license. I definitely DO NOT agree with that, however I think it would be good for people to understand what kind of airspace they're flying in, especially if they're going to be flying higher than a couple 100 feet. There's plenty of uncontrolled Class G airspace around that is much safer to use than the Class B Airspace that is around the bigger airports. I think the problem is complete ignorance.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
This was at night
The lighted drone was 200 feet above the jet (at 600 feet AGL)
It was along the Landing Pattern Flight Path, but not in the Airfield's airspace
The drone was actually in the downtown Dallas area
"The drone was not in Love Field's airspace, Torres said, but was in downtown Dallas."
The FAA has identified the device - "definitely a quadricopter"
The pilots claimed that they saw it down low and then rapidly gain altitude until it was above them.
"The first officer said it appeared it was on the field because the lights looked low, but then it went straight up and flew above the Virgin plane."
(seems a bit exaggerated with the speeds of both aircraft involved)

So - he was flying at night, in a known flight path and well above 500 feet
Dumb, dumb and dumb, but he was not in the airport airspace
As dumb as he is, he'll probably post video soon......

Best regards,
PCH

mrwzrd59

Old Guy Geek
the law says different.

the new law says "5 miles from an airport". if the airliner was that low, it was not over downtown dallas! something is not quite correct in the reporting of the encounter.

mjcp

Hmm... 3 Deg glide slope, 600 AGL = 2nm from runway...

DFW/DLF is a huge class B* airspace from surface to 11,000 feet covering almost the whole area:

Sectional map

The VOR: COWBOY is roughly 7 miles from Love Field, on that basis, I can't see anywhere within 2 nm or 5 for that matter where the copter could not be in controlled air space!

A fool and his money spoil it for everyone!

mjcp

*Operations may be conducted under IFR, SVFR, or VFR. All aircraft are subject to ATC clearance. All flights are separated from each other by ATC.