DT750 Detach from Tricopter during flight

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Posting here just for a pure fun.

Had a DT750 come off my tricopter during flight.

The view from my FPV goggles was just spins.

The video play back from the GoPro is priceless.

Skip to 90 seconds for the fun part...

GOPR3792-poster.jpg

Lesson here check those screws :)

I think the lesson is Don't Fly at that field. It looks like the same place your twin engine plane went down. Maybe it's haunted....

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Yes same field but a great place to fly.

IMG_0065.JPG

The only real hit was to the frame and one prop. She'll fly again soon.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I had the same thing happen to me. Damn grub screw popped out in flight... My damage was worse, since I crashed on concrete.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Ouch.

I'm glad I'm still testing/learning on a cheap wood frame vs the one I ordered from FT.
I will move over to it when I feel I'm ready.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Ouch.

I'm glad I'm still testing/learning on a cheap wood frame vs the one I ordered from FT.
I will move over to it when I feel I'm ready.

I was flying a DW tricopter with aluminum booms at that time. My motor didn't unplug, though, and when it hit the ground the motor hit first so the windings were damaged/cut by the aluminum tube.

I flew the FT Bat Bone for some time with the DT750 motors but it's too much motor for that frame.

I now use a F450 frame and SunnySky 980kv motors - awesome as long as you don't crash them into concrete! (Which I did, they now have a bad bearing and some vibrations)

BTW - My name is also André

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Hi Andre! Yes I've heard your name mentioned many times during the podcasts.
Pleased to meet you ;)

I'm going to have to check the fpv gear next but don't think they were damaged.

Once the learning pains are over I can start flying the tri a little more creatively.
I want to try and profile some slow flying planes.

califrag

XDJZXJ4.jpg

This happened to me too! Instead of the motor mount coming loose though, the zip ties slid off the end of the boom! Make sure you check them before each flight, the resulting crash broke both front booms, the landing gear, camera tray and a prop!

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Cutting a small groove in the boom for the zip tie to cinch into will cover a multitude of sins, but . . .

As you've discovered, Multirotors are helicopters,and ALL helicopters CONSTANTLY shake themselves apart -- ALWAYS pre-flight. check the bolts, the props, the prop adapters an the zipties. If something isn't tight that shouldn't move or isn't loose in the ways it should move, you fix before you fly.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Yeah I always have a 10mm wrench in my pocket to check the top nuts as well.

Still need to get the Tricopter back in the air.