• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

earthsciteach's STOL Build for the "Contest"

earthsciteach

Great?? Ha! I'm a hack. But, I'm pretty happy with the way this is turning out.

I'm installing the main spar at the moment. I may put in a secondary spar, but not sure, yet.

earthsciteach

The wing is now in one piece and has a carbon fiber rod installed as the spar. I still need to do some filling and sanding on it to make it nice and smooth. Next, I'll make a wing cradle for the fuselage on which it will sit since it is a highly cambered airfoil.

To do:
flaperons
cowling
firewall
windscreen and windows
landing gear
covering
install electronics and power
(not necessarily in that order)
fly

Attachments

Liemavick

Mentor
I like the progress so far, shaping up real nice. Where are your servos going for the flaperons? Whenever Ive gone from scratch I always find myself figuring out the controls at the end, instead of a plan. It's gotten easier on each successive build, but still stumps me at times.

earthsciteach

The servos will be under the wing. I don't think I can fully recess them due to the thin wing, but I'm not worried about it. This plane has a longer wingspan than a Hobbyzone Super Cub and will weigh much less. I've decided to use the same brushless motor I have in my HZ SC with an 8x4E prop since I have one of those motors available at the moment. This thing should get around pretty well!

earthsciteach

I'm making a form for the cowling from XPS foam. I didn't have a scrap piece of wood large enough to carve and use to heat shrink a bottle over. So, I'm going to lay up fiberglass. The cloth I have is really thin, so I'm not sure how rigid it will be when done. Its going to take several layers.

Attachments

earthsciteach

Bah, its together already except for installing the control horns and connecting the clevises. I'm really impressed with the quality. The paint is outstanding.