This is my third Dragon
41” wingspan
645 grams without battery
50mm 4s EDF
Flitetest brown foam
Flysky radio
BYMEa flight controller
5-6 minute flights with a 4sv2200aMh battery

It has flown. A bit under powered. Flight handling a bit odd-turns really need both rudder and ailerons. Haven’t really explored flying envelope. Did flat spin it in once, that was exciting.

Planning a new one for spring flying. 64mm EDS. Near the same size, might straighten the wings. V-tail (Aura lite to help)

Catapultguy
35FB5145-CC05-45BC-BB23-A1BAAB84B0EA.jpeg

telnar1236

Elite member
This is my third Dragon
41” wingspan
645 grams without battery
50mm 4s EDF
Flitetest brown foam
Flysky radio
BYMEa flight controller
5-6 minute flights with a 4sv2200aMh battery

It has flown. A bit under powered. Flight handling a bit odd-turns really need both rudder and ailerons. Haven’t really explored flying envelope. Did flat spin it in once, that was exciting.

Planning a new one for spring flying. 64mm EDS. Near the same size, might straighten the wings. V-tail (Aura lite to help)

Catapultguy View attachment 242191
All that area from the shapes on the head and the back is probably making the lateral stability a bit interesting. Increasing the size of the vertical stabilizer might help with the yaw/roll issues you're having.

There is a lot of vertical on it with the fins on the back and the cheeks on the head

I added the head after first attempt to fly
My CG was way off. It gave me an area to move the battery forward and it did fly than.

Thanks for the tip. I’m working through some ideas for the new dragon from the experience this one gave me
89AF6CA9-ECFB-4714-AAF3-E66B67DB3F86.jpeg

Attachments

• A5FC3730-5E92-455E-8887-DDC71D06CF0B.jpeg
    A5FC3730-5E92-455E-8887-DDC71D06CF0B.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 0

telnar1236

Elite member
There is a lot of vertical on it with the fins on the back and the cheeks on the head

I added the head after first attempt to fly
My CG was way off. It gave me an area to move the battery forward and it did fly than.

Thanks for the tip. I’m working through some ideas for the new dragon from the experience this one gave me View attachment 242199
The large amount of vertical near the front increases lateral (roll) stability without increasing directional (yaw) stability much. It will result in adverse yaw being worse which is probably why you especially need to coordinate rudder with the ailerons

The large amount of vertical near the front increases lateral (roll) stability without increasing directional (yaw) stability much. It will result in adverse yaw being worse which is probably why you especially need to coordinate rudder with the ailerons
Putting what I did when I put that head on the Dragon in words does turned on a light bulb in my head!
Now that I know what happened I can redesign the head and back (those dorsal fins).
It will be interesting to see what happens

Won’t be able to test fly till spring.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Just a crazy thought- what happens if the head moved with the rudder?