Extending a Receiver Attenna ?

The attenna on my blade 350qx is a short small copper wire about 2-3inches long and it stays within the plastic shell of the quad. Would I gain better range by extending it a few more inches and running it externally? The attenna is on the top left of the control board.

BLH7801_a0.jpg

trigger

I'm not an expert on radio transmission, but to my understanding, there is a strong relationship between the frequency at which the radio transmits (or the wavelength) and the antenna length.

Unless you know what you're doing, I think you should refrain from extending or cutting the antenna.

Furthermore, plastics are "transparent" to these wavelengths, so running the antenna internally shouldn't be an issue.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Yeah, just blindly extending the wire would almost certainly make things considerably worse. The length of the wire is critical to it being resonant at the right frequency and therefore able to function as an antenna.

If you want to relocate it you'd have to use shielded coax - but even then there are issues with matching the impedance that would make it trickier than it appears.