Extending a Receiver Attenna ?

The attenna on my blade 350qx is a short small copper wire about 2-3inches long and it stays within the plastic shell of the quad. Would I gain better range by extending it a few more inches and running it externally? The attenna is on the top left of the control board.

BLH7801_a0.jpg

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. The length of an antenna is made according to the wavelength of the frequency being used. Now, it may seem that the antenna is a different length to that of other 2.4 systems, eventhough it's working on the same wavelength, but really some of that antenna length missing is compensated by a coil and some of the printed circuit on the main board. To extend it a couple of inches would actually hinder it, giving it less range still. You CAN make it longer' but it needs to be an exact multiple of the entire circuit length, and you wouldn't gain much really. The way to gain really is by adding a booster on the transmitter, or changing the antenna on the transmitter for a higher gain one like you use on your WiFi router... the best being the unidirectional plates, but the bad thing there is the fact it's unidirectional.

The issue of antenna lengths was best seen on the old 35mhz (over there it would have been the 72mhz), where you would have to extend the huge antenna on the radio fully. Even leaving one section folded in would cut the range enormously! My Multiplex on 35mhz has an antenna much longer than my 35mhz Futaba for example, yet if I put that antenna on the Futaba it would decrease the range drasticly to the point of crashing a few feet away! I also have a short antenna for the Multiplex, which is a rubber rod about a foot long, and really what it is is a multiple of the original antenna in wire wrapped around a central rod. The range is a little less but that's because it's wrapped around and not just extended.

This is why when you break an antenna on a receiver, you shouldn't just change it for that of any other receiver, you should change it for one you know has the right lenght.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Don't let her fool you. It's all voodoo and black magic!

Just kidding! She's exactly right as usual. The lady knows her stuff!

Thanks for clarifying that up for me. So the range is what it is. I tested the range on the 350QX with my DX8 yesterday. I had no interference flying away from me up to 0.5 mile.(I measured the milage afterwards) When I turned around and started to fly towards me it appeared to loose signal 4-5 times when it was far away. The attenna faces the right rear of the aircraft. Could it be the aircraft and internals blocking the signal when flying towards me?

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
It might be that you have one of the motors in that case in the path, and the electromanetism is interfering. You can try placing the antenna on the quad straight up out of the casing. In any case, these quads arn't exactly made to go of on a roadtrip whilst you control it from home, the antenna is short and not shielded... it's just a piece of wire and nothing more. I think half a mile is pushing it for this type of model.

There is a guy who put a video on Youtube for modding the antenna, and he says he doubled the range... here it is if you want to try

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
There could be higher interference in that direction from the signal lines -- kinda surprised Spektrum just has a single dipole for this brick. Almost every RX they sell these days has a dual whip for diversity and I'd think they'd take the time to do that . . . or at least leave in a SAT plug.

Spektrum gear should be better than 1/2mi, but they were likely designing it for close in. Another knock against this design, I'm afraid, but a gentle one, since 1/2 mi (2600') is farther than most will fly something 350mm in width. A full range Spektrum RX with a full range TX properly setup with satilites to prevent shadowing and polarization loss have been tested to function out to 3mi. I wouldn't expect this to be typical, but half that should be easy. I have no idea how good the built-in reciever is, but the singe whip without an extended, sheilded second antenna implies it's a cut corner.

One thing to note -- where was your TX antenna pointing? I'm assuming it the RX antenna, in the frame is pointing straight down -- if your TX antenna isn't alligned with that, you're loosing signal power.

The vertically polarized RX antenna (pointing to the ground or the sky) paired with a horizontally polarized TX antenna (pointing to the side) will loose 3dB in power -- That's HALF of your signal lost to the antenna not pointing the right direction. unfortunatley, due to spreading losses (circles gain area proprtional to the square of the radius, not proprtional to the radius), it won't equate to doubling your range . . . more like +70% of your range. If that's the case, though, it would put you past the 3/4 mi mark . . .

. . . and make your quad smaller than a speck -- I've visually lost a quad bigger than that at less range . . .

. . . and never saw it again.

I appreaciate the insight. I was flying it with FPV up to that 0.5mile mark. After 0.3miles I could not see it anymore.