FAA is going to shoot down drones flying at SuperBowl

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Wait? What?

From: http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/faa-no-drone-zone-super-bowl-2016/
The Federal Aviation Administration is taking a tough stance on drones at the Super Bowl this year: bring them, and we’ll shoot them down. The “no-drone-zone” spans much further than just the stadium itself too, extending out 36 miles from Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, California.
[...]

The FAA also warns that drones could be subject to “deadly force” if it is considered a threat – although they did not specify how and by whom the restrictions would be enforced.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Right, like they're going to use a fire arm in one of the most gun-phobic states in a stadium filled with 50,000+ people.

No drone zones...

I can only imagine what George Carlin would have to say about this.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Perhaps they'll use the eagles that the Dutch are training? Or maybe those RF jammers or drones with nets? If they use RF jammers, imagine the outcry when people can't tweet, instagram, facebook post their game experience...

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
So RF would be out, which leaves the net drones. Are they going to fix a "drone" flying over the stadium by flying another drone over the stadium?

63478199.jpg

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
It's not just in the stadium - it extend out 36miles.
This covers an area of over 1400 square miles or over 900,000 acres.
Ouch my brain hurts - math is hard......

Best regards,
PCH

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
If they are going to shoot them down it should be with the rf jamming rifle
and if it is for 36 mi. then what is the next event that will have the 36 mi. restriction? ..... the small town usa home coming parade?
I can understand the concern in today's world but 36 mi. is a bit much ... maybe a 1 mi. limit. Who is it that is going to be attending to warrant the 36 mi. and is the limit going to be imposed on all of their travel like down a highway they are traveling on so you can't be flying as they might be on that route.

Last edited:

RAM

They just ordered everyone with a pacemaker to evacuate the area. They have until Sunday to comply.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
This sounds more like a challenge than a threat. I imagine there's got to be some "hacker" spirited drone pilots that would love to test out their systems in a real world environment like this.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
The stadium is about 3 miles from my house. All the parks where we fly are all shut down too, and not just to RC hobbyist.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
36 miles is extreme. Even for Military equipped entities. It sound like to me there must be a viable threat coming from somewhere for them to impose a limit like that.

Now on a funnier note. I think every person going to the super bowl should bring one of the nano quads and swarm the place as they are not regulated just to show them how stupid this whole regulation thing really is.

JohnRambozo

36 miles is extreme. Even for Military equipped entities. It sound like to me there must be a viable threat coming from somewhere for them to impose a limit like that.

Now on a funnier note. I think every person going to the super bowl should bring one of the nano quads and swarm the place as they are not regulated just to show them how stupid this whole regulation thing really is.

With the popularity of public shootings, bombings like the Boston Marathon bombing and our ever growing list of enemies, this is probably the sign of things to come for any major public gathering.

jamboree1

The stadium is about 3 miles from my house. All the parks where we fly are all shut down too, and not just to RC hobbyist.

Nic, so do it anyways, if you aren't watching the game. If you get busted just think about the end story what you could do to bring a better understanding to the masses about this ludicrous regulation. Remember, education before regulation.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
Good News they reduced the no-fly zone from a 36 mile radius to only 32 miles.
This is only 3200 square miles or around 2 million acres. I'm glad they came to their senses!

mapbayarea.jpg

Here are the fines -
$1,000 fine if you’re flying alone or $27,500 if you’re flying for a business

Best regards,
PCH