Fall / Winter Night Flying dates at the University of Akron Field house

Team_Monkey

Hello all,
I'm not affiliated with the event but just wanted to share that several night flights are scheduled at the University of Akron Fieldhouse. It is the same venue as NEFF from last year. If I read the email correctly, the more folks that sign up and pay the $15 fee ahead of time, the longer we will be allowed to stay. It looks like you can only pay for one at a time. Just so it's out there, you do have to be an AMA member to fly.

Here's a link to the site where you can find pages on directions and such.
For a quick reference, here are the dates:
Friday Nov. 21st
Friday Dec. 5th
Friday Dec. 19th
Friday Jan. 30th
Friday Feb. 13th
Friday Feb. 27th

Also, I don' think the dates for NEFF are set for sure, but they are hoping for the third weekend in March again.

I hope to see a few FT folks flying! :cool:

abieex

Mentor
thanks alot Team Monkey, all signed up and paid. I think the guys from Doylestown are doing some indoor flying as well. Hoping they will chime in!

Team_Monkey

Flite Test was well represented at the first Friday Night Flight last week. I saw a few guys in their FT hats and even some hoodies. I saw a few of the new minis flying the pattern too.

You don't need to bring alot of support gear, it is only two hours of flying. If you bring enough batteries you don't even have to worry about charging. I flew the whole time and by having a few different airframes that used different sizes of batteries I didn't have to worry about downtime. ;) There was also no waiting to fly. Between the sheer size of the facility and folks splitting up to corners for special venues like F3A, 3D and heli/multi-rotor the flightline was wide open.

I had a ball flying my scratch FT Viggen with TV and rudder. I had it OK'd on site as it is overweight at 22oz. but the CD knew how it could slow down. I could float around then punch it, quick back flip and then fly away...mostly. Sometimes I'd end up nose high vertical and not have enough altitude to recover. No worries though. The tip of the nose got a little squished but it's fine.

I didn't get any video of the loops but here's a nice 1080P video of an easy flight with an "oops" moment. It shows how large the facility feels inside.
http://youtu.be/zcXp8omhoO4?list=UUGbBDqVw5EwCQBLE4fbqGhw

abieex

Mentor
There are a few places for your charger to plug in. So far there hasn't been any crowding so I don't think you'll have any problems. Its a real nice place to fly.

Team_Monkey

Honestly, with only two hours to fly, and part of that taken up with getting in and out of the place, I haven't charged there once.
Just bring a few batteries for every plane or copter and have a ball flying. :D

I'm heading to Des Moines, IA this weekend for an event and I may be building a new shelving unit for my wife next weekend so I'm not sure if I can make the 30th but I'll sure try. :cool:

abieex

Mentor
We'd miss you Monkey! Only a couple of hours on Friday night. She could drop you off and shop at the mall. No, sorry, thats a bad idea! See you in February.

AeroMaestro

Thanks for posting this! I live just up the road in Stow, and saw UAkron in the latest FT episode, and thought --- "awwww... I wanna be there!" So now I need to hurry up and get my AMA before Jan 30.

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
Things got a little "odd" at work today...not sure what tomorow will bring, but I am hoping i can still make it.