Favorite Power Distribution Methods

brettp2004

I'm curious as to what everyone's favorite method of power distribution is for their multicopters? A board from hobbyking? Or do you prefer to run your own distribution for a cleaner look? I've seen quite a few methods on various different websites, but if you have a video of your preferred method please share!

earthsciteach

That is a very good question. I made up a wiring harness that was far less than "clean" looking on my (now lost) Bat Bone. I'd really like to see what the more talented among us have done.

Mustang7302

I like to use XT60 connectors on the battery side of the ESCs so it makes it easier to isolate for testing or re-purposing the ESC/motor for other projects. I've done a power harness that was daisy chained for a tricopter as well as made a four into one harness for a quadcopter. The daisy chain is easier to solder but is more labor intensive (more soldering to do), where as the four into one doesn't take as long but is trickier to do (need small single strand wire to bundle the five wires together and need a pretty stout iron). For getting onto the rig, the four into one was more manageable than the daisy chain was.

Daisy Chain Harness:
axrr.png

Four into One Harness:
9fhn.jpg

vk2dxn

Mine looks similar to xuzme's but my esc's are soldered directly and I use deans for the battery

brettp2004

photo.JPG
Here was my idea for power distribution for the v-tail batbone. The concept worked ok but I had to remake it to get it to fit correctly. The batbone I just made was for a friend and the one I'm building for me I am just going to put the distribution board inside the frame to make it easier. A question for someone who know more about this stuff than I do, is it better to have the battery leads evenly spaced between all the wires? For example in the pigtail design there is the same amount of wire going to all the ESCs, but in mine there is a greater distance to the rear ESCs. Does this matter? My guess is not really since the amount of resistance in an extra inch or two of wire isn't really going to make a difference, but I could be wrong.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
View attachment 13055
Here was my idea for power distribution for the v-tail batbone. The concept worked ok but I had to remake it to get it to fit correctly. The batbone I just made was for a friend and the one I'm building for me I am just going to put the distribution board inside the frame to make it easier. A question for someone who know more about this stuff than I do, is it better to have the battery leads evenly spaced between all the wires? For example in the pigtail design there is the same amount of wire going to all the ESCs, but in mine there is a greater distance to the rear ESCs. Does this matter? My guess is not really since the amount of resistance in an extra inch or two of wire isn't really going to make a difference, but I could be wrong.
There is always some voltage drop over a length of wire so short answer is; Yes, there will be a difference, but in the short runs we have in the multi's at the relatively low voltages and draw, it won't make an appreciable difference. I make all mine the same length but that's just my OCD kicking in and what my work has drummed into my head, as well.