fiberglassing

chris398mx

Master member
Not yet, I haven’t gotten a chance to work on it yet. I should be able to this coming weekend.
1613504007048.png

I am not getting any younger! LOL just giving you a hard time.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Now the Stick is finished its onto the air boat, might think about coating the hull in fibreglass. Its a good way to waterproof it and build in some robustness.
For sure. Would you be going with a resin as the hardener?

Phin G

Elite member
Now the Stick is finished its onto the air boat, might think about coating the hull in fibreglass. Its a good way to waterproof it and build in some robustness.
Me and my sad have been fixing the hull of a jet ski as my brother docked with to much power and cracked the fibre glass.

chris398mx

Master member
Haha, well build-ruary happened so the whole ultra stick project is on hold for the next two weeks, but once that’s over, I’ll be back on it, athough I did manage to cut the ailerons off.
View attachment 192726
I am back from spring break with the kids and was thinking about my next project. I am thinking about something with fiberglassed wings. were you ever able to get some testing in with the glass you bought? If so, was it heavy enough or should I buy some a little heavier?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I am back from spring break with the kids and was thinking about my next project. I am thinking about something with fiberglassed wings. were you ever able to get some testing in with the glass you bought? If so, was it heavy enough or should I buy some a little heavier?
So I’ve been working on the ultra stick but I realized that I needed to figure out what I am going to do for control surfaces and servo placement before I fiberglass the wing. I’ve made the control surfaces and am working on installing servos on the wings right now, but I’m still contemplating how to run the servo wires since I didn’t leave any holes in the wings for them...
B2985B69-2E18-4D6F-9708-4BDF22183106.jpeg

However I did open one of the packages of fiberglass and it was very thin and light - I’m very impressed!

Ducky84

So I’ve been working on the ultra stick but I realized that I needed to figure out what I am going to do for control surfaces and servo placement before I fiberglass the wing. I’ve made the control surfaces and am working on installing servos on the wings right now, but I’m still contemplating how to run the servo wires since I didn’t leave any holes in the wings for them...
View attachment 196730
However I did open one of the packages of fiberglass and it was very thin and light - I’m very impressed!
Any update on this project? I'm thinking of fiberglassing my first plane using some of the same stuff as you.

L Edge

Master member
Generally speaking:

If you intend to explore fiber glassing, suggest you start with a small (plane) and see how you do. Many methods can be looked at.

It is also better to start off with the use a foam wing that was hot wired and cover it. (Guess why)

Be prepared to do a lot of sanding to reduce the weight of the epoxy and glass to make it look nice for painting. Otherwise, excess paint fills the pits and increases the weight.

Bet your 2 halves of the wing(left and right) will not balanced in weight(glass and epoxy), expect some funky flying until you do dynamic balancing.

3D planes are best if built light, fiberglass is mainly used when high "g's" are encountered. Pylon racer's(5 lb plane at 200mph) encounter from 50 to 80 g's in turns. If you build a 5 lb 2 oz plane, it is used for practice laps. So your goal was to be less that 5 and add a pinch of weight and yet survive the turns. Planes are checked to see if they meet requirements, otherwise people tend to cheat. Unless your good at glassing, get it done by the expert.