fiberglassing

chris398mx

Master member
Yeah, lots of good info for sure - it helped me out a ton.

That’s what willsonman recommended so that’s what I went with.
Let's go buddy, get some of that on and give us a report on how it does!!! I am wondering what weight fiberglass I want to order. FT said 2 oz was super strong but they thought they could go lighter, which I think you did.

Bricks

Master member
For things like cowls which I have built it would be better to use regular fiberglass resin 2 part, which I believe has more flexibility.

chris398mx

Master member
Will do! I went with .75 OZ so considerably lighter.
Any chance you could apply some of that to one of your regular foamboard planes and give some feedback about how the application went and if it seemed to make the structure any stronger? It seams it would really help with the waterproofing of a plane for flying in the winter or landing on wet grass as well. I built a grun jet last year that I landed on the snow a couple times and wiped the snow off as quickly as possible, when I went inside, but the wings warped pretty bad from getting damp.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Any chance you could apply some of that to one of your regular foamboard planes and give some feedback about how the application went and if it seemed to make the structure any stronger? It seams it would really help with the waterproofing of a plane for flying in the winter or landing on wet grass as well. I built a grun jet last year that I landed on the snow a couple times and wiped the snow off as quickly as possible, when I went inside, but the wings warped pretty bad from getting damp.
Sure, I’ll do some testing.

Samh

Elite member
For things like cowls which I have built it would be better to use regular fiberglass resin 2 part, which I believe has more flexibility.
Yeah true. The polycrylic doesn't have any real strength if I am correct so it wouldn't be helpful when making cowls. Normal epoxy would work much better

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Yeah true. The polycrylic doesn't have any real strength if I am correct so it wouldn't be helpful when making cowls. Normal epoxy would work much better
Yeah, if I end up needing to fix cowls at some point I'll definitely get some epoxy. For the ultra stick the fiberglass isn't structural so that's why I'm using polycrylic.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Nice! What battery will you use?
I’m not sure yet actually. My original plan was to use an emax 4020 (slightly smaller than a monster radial) and a 5000 6s however I’m not sure it’ll be enough power. Either I’ll get a monster radial, since the radials seem to put out more thrust than most other motors the same size, or get a bigger emax gt motor. If I get a bigger emax motor, I’ll have to run 8s, 10s, or 12s. I’m starting to get into the 6s birds so 12s would be the most useful battery size since I could run two 5000 6s in series. Another factor is weight - mine has the same dimensions as the hangar 9 30cc stick, and the electric setup used calls for 10s, so I’m not sure a 5000 6s will be enough nose weight...

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
I’m not sure yet actually. My original plan was to use an emax 4020 (slightly smaller than a monster radial) and a 5000 6s however I’m not sure it’ll be enough power. Either I’ll get a monster radial, since the radials seem to put out more thrust than most other motors the same size, or get a bigger emax gt motor. If I get a bigger emax motor, I’ll have to run 8s, 10s, or 12s. I’m starting to get into the 6s birds so 12s would be the most useful battery size since I could run two 5000 6s in series. Another factor is weight - mine has the same dimensions as the hangar 9 30cc stick, and the electric setup used calls for 10s, so I’m not sure a 5000 6s will be enough nose weight...
I’d use a g160 from turnigy.

Bricks

Master member
If interested I have one you might be able to use...cheap.

Attachments

• P1000353.JPG
    P1000353.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 0
  • P1000354.JPG
    P1000354.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1000355.JPG
    P1000355.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 0
  • P1000356.JPG
    P1000356.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 0

Headbang

Master member
So that size of bird is definatly 30cc which in electric terms is 2200w of motor or so. My typical setup for that is a motrofly dm4325-450 with a 120amp esc, castle bec pro 20amp, gens-ace 60c 6s 5000mha battery. Props vary depending on setup. I have a 16x12 on the elite beast biplane, and a 18x8 on an edge. Now my setups are the expensive version, trick is to find same specs within your budget.

Next size up in setup is a 12s using same batteries, and xpwr 60cc motors with high voltage 120amp escs. I dont do anything in between as I don't want to buy different batteries. Just makes sense.

Jackson T

Elite member
That will be an awesome plane when you get it going! Are you planning to make it fully 3D capable?